IMO Mesa Tactical 6 Shell Side Saddle

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
User avatar
rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:39 am
Location: Madison, WI

IMO Mesa Tactical 6 Shell Side Saddle

Post by rythomas0704 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:45 pm

DSC00496.JPG
DSC00496.JPG (67 KiB) Viewed 6302 times
I originally planned on buying the Tacstar Side Saddle because the price was way more appealing ($26) compared to the Mesa Tactical Side Saddle ($70) :o

Reviews on the Tacstar were so so and reviews on the Mesa were great. However I was going to take the risk and go with the cheaper of two as my finances are a little tight lately. However... the day I placed my order my boss gave me a bonus on my check :D and the tacstar was not in stock... ahhh how the stars sometimes align and the 870 Gods smile on you and say "Hey... you have the extra money, you know you want to get the better one. Now is not the time to skimp on your shotty fool. Get the Mesa... GET IT RIGHT NOW!!!!"

So I hit add to cart and never looked back.

Now... it did take longer than 3-5 days to receive from the supplier, that is my ONLY gripe. Ordered it on the 8th and got it yesterday.. the 16th. It shipped on the 9th. So took roughly 7 days... no biggie there was a weekend in there somewhere.

First thing I noticed was the heft... it is a little heavier than the Tacstar I assume as the Mesa is ALL aluminum... no plastic whatsoever. This is awesome. The finish is great and the fit is even better. This thing would work for you even if you have the stock fore-end which on most models rides up onto the receiver when you pull the action back. The Tacstar 6 shell would mean modifying or replacing of your fore-end from my understanding. Also... the Mesa has an area that leaves your serial number visible which I really like. You will also notice in the pic that the holder has a rubber tube installed that helps hold your shells in place. Now the cool thing is that they also send you a different one. The extra one allows a little more grip on your shells making it harder for them to fall or move... also harder to put shells in or take them out... but not much more. I replaced the black one with the extra white one shortly after installation. Also... Mesa will send you replacements at any time FREE OF CHARGE!!! That's really cool.
DSC00499.JPG
DSC00499.JPG (162.08 KiB) Viewed 6302 times
It came with all necessary hardware and even a self adhesive rubber backing to prevent marring of your finish. Installation was easy and fit was perfect. After installing it also fixed the movement in the trigger group. The only thing I did was remove the detents in the group in order to install the bolts.
DSC00497.JPG
DSC00497.JPG (75.7 KiB) Viewed 6302 times
It holds my shells well and looks awesome. They stay put after 10 rounds of Max 00 Buck through my 870. I am 100% pleased and give it 8/10. It lost a couple because the cost is rather high and can make it prohibitive to many. However, I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for the highest quality shell holder they can find. Looks great and works awesome.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
- George Orwell

DaveC
Addict Shotgunner
Posts: 306
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:53 pm

Re: IMO Mesa Tactical 6 Shell Side Saddle

Post by DaveC » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:35 pm

Very nice shot-shell holder. I've seen and handled the Mesa product before, but I couldn't justify the cost. It might seem steep, but a lifetime warranty where service will be done on the product is mighty nice.

You are correct that a 6-shot Tac Star will necessitate a lower-profile forend, either a simple "corn cob" or something like that. The Mag-Pul and the Hogue should work. Personally, I discarded my six-shot Tac Star in favor of a four shot. Tac Star works for me, but I'll concede that I've had to go hunting for little screws, and once I never did find it... :roll:

Good shooting with your 870!
Alle Kunst ist umsonst, wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.

User avatar
Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner
Posts: 3022
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:04 am
Location: The Inland Northwest
Contact:

Re: IMO Mesa Tactical 6 Shell Side Saddle

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:52 pm

DaveC wrote:Tac Star works for me, but I'll concede that I've had to go hunting for little screws, and once I never did find it...
Yeah, each one of those little screws needs to be taken out and reinstalled with locktite, right out of the packaging. Otherwise, they'll start falling out the first time you shoot with it.

On-topic, how far out does the Mesa Tactical carrier extend from the receiver, Rythomas0704?

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner
Posts: 266
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:06 pm

Re: IMO Mesa Tactical 6 Shell Side Saddle

Post by Kentactic » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:18 pm

Thanks for the review. You answered a few questions i had about this side saddle. Like what keeps the shells in place and what material its made of. I always figured it was plastic like a tacstar. Ill have to buy on and try it out.

User avatar
rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:39 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: IMO Mesa Tactical 6 Shell Side Saddle

Post by rythomas0704 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:14 pm

Synchronizor wrote:
DaveC wrote:Tac Star works for me, but I'll concede that I've had to go hunting for little screws, and once I never did find it...
Yeah, each one of those little screws needs to be taken out and reinstalled with locktite, right out of the packaging. Otherwise, they'll start falling out the first time you shoot with it.

On-topic, how far out does the Mesa Tactical carrier extend from the receiver, Rythomas0704?
SORRY FOR DELAYED RESPONSE... BEEN OUT OF TOWN FOR WORK.

Not at all. It actually stops roughly an inch or so from the end. It is a great design.
Attachments
DSC00503.JPG
DSC00503.JPG (48.79 KiB) Viewed 6164 times
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
- George Orwell

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner
Posts: 266
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:06 pm

Re: IMO Mesa Tactical 6 Shell Side Saddle

Post by Kentactic » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:31 pm

rythomas0704 wrote:
Synchronizor wrote:
DaveC wrote:Tac Star works for me, but I'll concede that I've had to go hunting for little screws, and once I never did find it...
Yeah, each one of those little screws needs to be taken out and reinstalled with locktite, right out of the packaging. Otherwise, they'll start falling out the first time you shoot with it.

On-topic, how far out does the Mesa Tactical carrier extend from the receiver, Rythomas0704?
SORRY FOR DELAYED RESPONSE... BEEN OUT OF TOWN FOR WORK.

Not at all. It actually stops roughly an inch or so from the end. It is a great design.
He means on the tacstar. I recommend permanent loctite.

User avatar
Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner
Posts: 3022
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:04 am
Location: The Inland Northwest
Contact:

Re: IMO Mesa Tactical 6 Shell Side Saddle

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:33 am

rythomas0704 wrote:SORRY FOR DELAYED RESPONSE... BEEN OUT OF TOWN FOR WORK.

Not at all. It actually stops roughly an inch or so from the end. It is a great design.
I meant, how much width does it add to the receiver? Since it completely encircles the shells, I would imagine it would make the gun wider than other sidesaddles.

User avatar
rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:39 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: IMO Mesa Tactical 6 Shell Side Saddle

Post by rythomas0704 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:31 pm

Oh... My mistake. It does add a hair more to the width but I imagine no more than 1/16 of an inch more than the tacstar when shells are in it. In my opinion it's a perfect fit. The quality is high end and I don't foresee any problems whatsoever with this side saddle. When I get home I will give you an exact measurement. It does have a rather thick baseplate though.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
- George Orwell

User avatar
rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:39 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: IMO Mesa Tactical 6 Shell Side Saddle

Post by rythomas0704 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:51 am

Synchronizor wrote:
rythomas0704 wrote:SORRY FOR DELAYED RESPONSE... BEEN OUT OF TOWN FOR WORK.

Not at all. It actually stops roughly an inch or so from the end. It is a great design.
I meant, how much width does it add to the receiver? Since it completely encircles the shells, I would imagine it would make the gun wider than other sidesaddles.
Just got home and took a quick measurement (with a ruler, sorry but used to a tape measure) and it sits roughly 1 3/16" off of the side of the receiver. Hope this helps.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
- George Orwell

User avatar
Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner
Posts: 3022
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:04 am
Location: The Inland Northwest
Contact:

Re: IMO Mesa Tactical 6 Shell Side Saddle

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:43 am

rythomas0704 wrote:Just got home and took a quick measurement (with a ruler, sorry but used to a tape measure) and it sits roughly 1 3/16" off of the side of the receiver. Hope this helps.
I was mostly just curious. That's actually a hair less than my TacStar, which comes in at almost exactly 1.25" with shells inserted. The Mesa Tactical probably saves some width by having a one-piece construction.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest