IMO of the Magpul SGA Stock and MOE Fore end set

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

IMO of the Magpul SGA Stock and MOE Fore end set

Post by rythomas0704 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:38 am

DSC00496.JPG
DSC00496.JPG (67 KiB) Viewed 8790 times
I recently received my Magpul Furniture set (after almost a month of deciding what furniture I wanted) and I am more than 100% satisfied. I am ecstatic with the product. The fit and the finish is top notch... as is all Magpul stuff.

I got the set in the matte black finish and it matches my Express' matte black finish almost perfectly. Better than the OEM synthetic furniture.

First install was the MOE Fore end:
DSC00501.JPG
DSC00501.JPG (91.49 KiB) Viewed 8790 times
Magpul was kind enough to send a fore end wrench along with the product... which is awesome. It is made of the same material as the furniture so it may not last forever (because tools should be metal... not polymer) Easy removal of the original fore end. As for installation of the Magpul one, it went on with no problems whatsoever. It was a little snug but nothing to bad. I did NOT have to pry,file, dremel, sand, lube etc. the fore end to get it on the tube.

It has plenty of room for the addition of rails. I would HIGHLY recommend buying the Magpul MOE rails as they are designed specifically for the MOE line of products. They are also low profile and rounded to keep from ripping your hand apart when firing.

The fore end feels great. A little slick but completely manageable. It makes racking my 870 even more fun... I did not think that was possible. At $30 it is an awesome buy.

Next up is the SGA Stock:
DSC00500.JPG
DSC00500.JPG (88.61 KiB) Viewed 8790 times
This is one awesome stock!!!! The grip drops a little more than the original but not so much that it is a pistol gripped. The butt comes off of the bottom of the grip and this helps to bring the receiver up a little higher to make sight acquisition easier and more comfortable. The stock comes with 4 spacers to adjust LOP and one heck of a recoil pad. It is roughly 1" thick and feels great. The stock is solid and gives you the confidence in knowing that even though you have a plastic stock you can still bust some heads with it if needed. It also allows for tons of adjustments. It allows you to add 3 different size cheek rests (sold separately) and gives you three places to attach slings. The grip has a good tack to it and fits MY hands perfect. Others may think otherwise due to the fact that it is a little narrower than the original which could cause large handed shooters to have problems. I have big hands myself and have no problems. The grip is solid and has a good positive grip to it. It makes it very easy to bring the gun to shoulder.

Overall I give the set 9 of 10. (everything can be improved) I highly recommend this product. :D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
- George Orwell

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: IMO of the Magpul SGA Stock and MOE Fore end set

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:19 am

Looks nice.

How well do those adjustable/interchangeable elements stay put under heavy recoil?

Also, what type of stock bolt does it use? I've been thinking that shooters who find that grip to be too far forward may be able to add a spacer between the stock and receiver, but that would probably require a different stock bolt length to maintain a secure attachment.

rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

Post by rythomas0704 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:40 am

I have only had the chance to test the spacer for LOP under recoil and it stays strong. All of the bolts that you see on the stock stay put. I am and always have been a huge fan of Magpul as they serve my brother well when he is overseas and they have never done me wrong on my AR.

As for the stock bolt I am unsure what you mean? It is a MUCH shorter version of the original as it inserts from the top of the grip under a rubber thumb insert. It is an allen bolt however. I have read reviews of this stock being used with a GG&G sling adapter which does work as a spacer and the reviewer did NOT mention needing a longer stock bolt. I am sure that if you need to space it then the bolt should work just fine.

IMO it is not much shorter. I noticed no difference whatsoever. I also have read no reviews to mention that problem. When shouldered your thumb is still in the same spot. It only brought the bottom of my hand forward a hair... actually corrected a few control issues without having to use a pistol grip.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
- George Orwell

MauiWowwee
New Shotgunner

Post by MauiWowwee » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:49 am

The screw that holds the spacers in place got some loctite on them, so I wouldn't be concerned about it backing out under recoil. I haven't had that problem at all so far.
BOOM BOOM SKEET SKEET

rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

Post by rythomas0704 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:33 pm

MauiWowwee wrote:The screw that holds the spacers in place got some loctite on them, so I wouldn't be concerned about it backing out under recoil. I haven't had that problem at all so far.
I believe Synchronizor is actually more worried about the amount of thread that will actually be in the receiver after installing a spacer. No amount of loctite can help you if you only have a couple of threads in there. LOL But like I said before I don't think it would be a huge problem unless the spacer is VERY large.
- George Orwell

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:45 pm

rythomas0704, thanks for the review!
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

MauiWowwee
New Shotgunner

Post by MauiWowwee » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:25 pm

rythomas0704 wrote:
MauiWowwee wrote:The screw that holds the spacers in place got some loctite on them, so I wouldn't be concerned about it backing out under recoil. I haven't had that problem at all so far.
I believe Synchronizor is actually more worried about the amount of thread that will actually be in the receiver after installing a spacer. No amount of loctite can help you if you only have a couple of threads in there. LOL But like I said before I don't think it would be a huge problem unless the spacer is VERY large.
My response was in regard to the screw that holds in the spacers that adjust the LOP.
BOOM BOOM SKEET SKEET

rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

Post by rythomas0704 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:35 pm

Oh my bad. Yeah Synchronizor was asking about the stock bolt. The one that attaches it to the receiver. He is worried that other shooters that want to add a spacer between the stock and receiver would need to buy a different stock bolt.
- George Orwell

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:04 am

rythomas0704 wrote:Oh my bad. Yeah Synchronizor was asking about the stock bolt. The one that attaches it to the receiver. He is worried that other shooters that want to add a spacer between the stock and receiver would need to buy a different stock bolt.
Really not that big a deal, actually. Credit to Remington for using a standard UNF 1/4-28 thread for the stock bolt. Virtually any fastener shop or hardware store will have 1/4-28 screws in a variety of lengths. I screwed up the mounting bolt for my pistol grip, and got the exact same part for pennies from a local supplier.

rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

Post by rythomas0704 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:02 pm

Synchronizor wrote:
rythomas0704 wrote:Oh my bad. Yeah Synchronizor was asking about the stock bolt. The one that attaches it to the receiver. He is worried that other shooters that want to add a spacer between the stock and receiver would need to buy a different stock bolt.
Really not that big a deal, actually. Credit to Remington for using a standard UNF 1/4-28 thread for the stock bolt. Virtually any fastener shop or hardware store will have 1/4-28 screws in a variety of lengths. I screwed up the mounting bolt for my pistol grip, and got the exact same part for pennies from a local supplier.
Nice. That is good to know.
- George Orwell