Thoughts on the Magpul Furniture for the 870

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

Thoughts on the Magpul Furniture for the 870

Post by rythomas0704 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:16 pm

I believe I will be purchasing the Magpul stock and fore end set in black for my 870 next week and have noticed lately that they are becoming a HUGE trend in the 870 world. Especially on this site. I was just wondering what people think of their magpul kit. Any advice would be great. Thanks guys. :D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
- George Orwell

MauiWowwee
New Shotgunner

Re: Thoughts on the Magpul Furniture for the 870

Post by MauiWowwee » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:05 pm

I love mines. Very ergonomic and I like the fact you can adjust the LOP. I'm still dialing in which length I want it at. The butt pad is nice and squishy, my shoulder doesn't hurt that much after firing 50+ rounds. The fore end does feel a bit slick IMO.
BOOM BOOM SKEET SKEET

rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

Post by rythomas0704 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:24 pm

Yeah I have heard a few different opinions on the texture of the fore end. I currently have the 870 synthetic furniture on my gun. Is it any worse than that as for slick-ness?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
- George Orwell

DaveC
Addict Shotgunner

Post by DaveC » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:43 pm

I finally got an opportunity to handle a Remington 870 tactical with the Magpul stock furniture. I thought it was just awesome! The ergonomics fit me very, very well. The length-of-pull seemed about right for me, and I'm just 5'5" tall. The forend filled my hand nicely but still felt much more svelte than the set-up I've currently got on my 870. The shotgun has the XS ghost-ring aperture sight installed, which was very excellent too... My shotgun just has a simple bead. Good luck with the magpul! I think you could readily attach a tactical light to the forend if you chose, either right side or left side. :geek:
Alle Kunst ist umsonst, wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.

rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

Post by rythomas0704 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:57 pm

I am actually buying the furniture... not getting a Magpul Edition 870. I am in the middle of a combat build and building from ground up on an 870 Express. I have researched the ever-loving crap out of the set and am 99% sure that is what I am going with. Also, you are correct you can (separately purchased) attach magpul's MOE picatinny rails to the fore end but I don't like the idea of the light moving when you rack the slide so I have attached my light to my clamp.

Thanks a lot guys for the input. Looks like I am now 100% sure. :D Ill post pics after my order arrives next week. Should be a few extra goodies to go with the Magpul furniture. ;)
- George Orwell

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:26 pm

Here is my review, you can find some useful info in it:
http://www.rem870.com/2012/12/03/magpul ... w-updated/
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:31 am

My advice: try it first. Find a store with one of the Magpul 870s and throw it to your shoulder before you spend your money. Not that it's a bad product; but like anything, it won't be a proper fit for everyone.

I played around with one last year while waiting for a friend to meet me at the gun shop/indoor range. The furniture seemed very well-made, but it flat-out did not fit my hands. I could barely reach my safety at all, and I would have been pulling the trigger with my knuckle.

I have big hands, which is probably why most other people don't have an issue with the stock, but I would really recommend trying it out yourself before you drop your money on it. If nothing else, take the stock off your 870, and take it in to a gun shop that sells the Magpul stock. Most places (around here, at least) will let you toss a stock on your gun in the store to see how it feels before buying it.

13oliver13
New Shotgunner

Post by 13oliver13 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:40 pm

Vitaly wrote:Here is my review, you can find some useful info in it:
http://www.rem870.com/2012/12/03/magpul ... w-updated/

Great review, covers exactly what I was looking for.

Bastard File
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bastard File » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:53 am

I have Mag Pul furniture on a flat topped pre-ban Colt HBar Sporter & absolutely love it!! However, I don't care for the feel or looks of it on an 870, again, that's just a personal preference. They have a reputation of making great products and I LOVE the owners political stance and having the sack to tell the State of Colorado to stick it where the sun don't shine!!

Bastard File
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bastard File » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:57 am

I'm dinosaur I suppose! I don't have any rails, lights, bayonets or short forends on any of my 870's! I do have factory black synthetic furniture on two however:-)