Rem 870 utilizing bead AND red dot

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
jambulo

Rem 870 utilizing bead AND red dot

Post by jambulo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:42 pm

I just bought a Remington 870 express mainly for HD, but will also be using it for fun(target practice, clay shooting). Anyone have a suggestion on a good set up to where I can run a red dot for clay shooting(long distance) while still being able to use the bead sight for HD(or close range)?

Option 1:
I was thinking a UTG/Leapers rail mount which is slightly raised to allow visibility of the bead as well as the red dot at the same time. No need to ever remove the red dot.
Leapers Rail Mount

Option 2:
Weaver rail mount, which is a much lower profile, along with some kind of raised front sight. Front sight has to be high enough to be seen over the Weaver rail. I'm thinking the sights on the ATI heat shield might be high enough. Will need to remove red dot in order to see the front sight.
Weaver Rail Mount
ATI Heat Shield with Ghost Ring Sights

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Rem 870 utilizing bead AND red dot

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:07 pm

I've never seen anyone run a red-dot for clays.

Just pick up a normal vent-rib RemChoke barrel, and you'll be good to go. It'd probably be cheaper as well.

nbk13nw
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by nbk13nw » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:57 am

I use a Burris Speedbead along with the supplied mount. This allows me to use the red dot and the bead together.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:54 pm

yeah you deffinatly dont want a red dot for shooting clays. In my opinion which varies from many others, a red dot has no bussiness on a 12 gauge shotgun with a smooth bore under any circumstances.

rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

Post by rythomas0704 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:24 pm

Kentactic wrote:yeah you deffinatly dont want a red dot for shooting clays. In my opinion which varies from many others, a red dot has no bussiness on a 12 gauge shotgun with a smooth bore under any circumstances.
I agree. Kind of unneeded if you ask me. Not to mention you would have to get a VERY GOOD red dot... otherwise you will be zeroing that sight... alot. LOL

In my opinion it takes less time to acquire with my bead then it would a red dot. Only time you should have an optic on your 12 ga is if you are building a slug gun with a rifled barrel, shooting only Sabot Slugs for hunting. Even then I wouldn't use an optic. I used to hunt with a Moss 20ga with a rifled barrel and only used the rifle sights.... I rolled plenty of white tail with that bastard. :D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
- George Orwell

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:23 pm

Exactly. Deer/Dedicated slug gun or no red dot. Even then its not required.

rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

Post by rythomas0704 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:34 pm

Only reason I could see a red dot needed is for the elderly or poor sighted. If you cant bag a deer from 100 yards with a slug gun with rifle sights you shouldn't be hunting let alone shooting. You need to master the basics first.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
- George Orwell

jambulo

Post by jambulo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:08 am

I ended up going with option 1. Picked up a UTG rail and a cheap UAG red dot sight. I've brought the gun to the range twice already, and probably shot about 70 rounds through it. The sight actually held up better than expected. I really only had to readjust it once. Still not sure if I'll be leaving the red dot on.

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:26 pm

jambulo wrote:... shot about 70 rounds through it. The sight actually held up better than expected. I really only had to readjust it once. Still not sure if I'll be leaving the red dot on.

That would mean id have to adjust it 3-4 times every time i trained with my 870.

"Cheap" and Optic never mix well brother. Plus your paying more to make your shotgun less effective.

rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

Post by rythomas0704 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:34 am

Kentactic wrote:..."Cheap" and Optic never mix well brother. Plus your paying more to make your shotgun less effective.
I fully agree with you here. When you are buying an optic, for ANY firearm, you should never pinch pennies. Why sacrifice quality and reliability when an optic's goal is to insure that hit your target every time?
- George Orwell