Duracoating

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
adamsls

Duracoating

Post by adamsls » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:49 am

I searched around with no luck...I'm looking at some advantages and disadvantages of doing a duracoat. There is a place not far from where I am that will do it. Any of you guys know of places that will do an excellent job?? Like most people I am on a limited budget..and I realize doing it myself would probably be cheaper, but I don't know if I trust myself with that.

Any feedback would be appreciated guys!
--Luke--
Rem 870 7 Round-BlackHawk! Knoxx Stock, Powerpak, Mako Tri Rail fore end, Mako rail grip, flashlight rail mount, Streamlight Strion, and lots of buck shot. More to come!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Duracoating

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:34 am

Why are you looking to duracoat it? Is the existing finish worn or problematic, or are you after some custom color or pattern?

I've never worked with the stuff, but from what I've seen, it doesn't seem that involved. I know it has a decent following, and there're a lot of sources of info and demonstrations on the internet. If you're not sure about your skill, you could always do practice runs on some worthless metal odds and ends until you're confident enough in your technique to work on your gun.

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:14 pm

Duracoat is a very good way to cutomize your gun. Remington 870 Express finish easily rusts, so it would be a very good improvement. It can be done at home but professional help is always better.

I have a friend which has a small business and deals with Duracoat/Cerakote. I plan to record a video with process of duracoating of my Remington 870.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

adamsls

Post by adamsls » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:18 pm

I'm not having any issues with my coat...It's a brand new gun. I'm just looking for something that will make it more rugged and definitely not rust. I put all my weapons through the paces and my personal defense shotgun will probably be getting several barrels for several different hobbies.

The factory finish doesn't seem very durable and I was just looking for something more. A video would be awesome!!
--Luke--
Rem 870 7 Round-BlackHawk! Knoxx Stock, Powerpak, Mako Tri Rail fore end, Mako rail grip, flashlight rail mount, Streamlight Strion, and lots of buck shot. More to come!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:53 pm

adamsls wrote:I'm not having any issues with my coat...It's a brand new gun. I'm just looking for something that will make it more rugged and definitely not rust.
There's no such thing as a completely rust-proof finish. Anyone who says differently is misinformed or trying to sell something.

The Express finish will hold up to harsh environments better than most people give it credit for (if you do your part), but it is prone to wearing off, especially if you're the type (like me) who likes to frequently switch between a bunch of different builds for the same gun.
adamsls wrote:I put all my weapons through the paces and my personal defense shotgun will probably be getting several barrels for several different hobbies.
If this is for the 870 you showed in your introduction thread, there aren't any other barrels that will fit on it (without custom work, at least). That 870 is a dedicated HD/tactical variant that uses a different mag tube than all other 870s.
adamsls wrote:The factory finish doesn't seem very durable and I was just looking for something more. A video would be awesome!!
Nutnfancy over on YouTube is a big DuraCoat fan, and he has a number of videos that should help get you started. Look through the videos here for the DuraCoating ones (I think most of them are near the bottom).

Crucible Armament

Post by Crucible Armament » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:12 am

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:33 am

Crucible Armament wrote:http://www.cruciblearmament.com
Link to site under construction without any comments? Should I consider this as spam?

Crucible Armament

Post by Crucible Armament » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:01 am

Sorry I guess it didnt take the rest of my text... The site is still under construction due to adding more content...it should be up and running full steam within the next couple weeks. There is a link to my facebook page with a photo gallery. Anyone mentioning rem870.com will receive a %10 discount covering all coating services. Let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Thank you, Hadley Owens

870-926-5401
cruciblearmament@gmail.com

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:59 am

Crucible Armament wrote:Sorry I guess it didnt take the rest of my text... The site is still under construction due to adding more content...it should be up and running full steam within the next couple weeks. There is a link to my facebook page with a photo gallery. Anyone mentioning rem870.com will receive a %10 discount covering all coating services. Let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Thank you, Hadley Owens

870-926-5401
cruciblearmament@gmail.com
Thank you, Hadley! I will have a post about your services and discount.

Bastard File
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bastard File » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:32 am

I've used Dura Coat on two different Express wood furniture. One is OD green...the other Woodland tan. It has proven to be a very durable finish as well. Have never applied it to any metal as I've had all but two of my Express models professionally parkerized. I have seen Dura Coat applied to a buddy of mines Mossberg 835 Turkey gun...came out very nice and he is pleased thus far.