Shotgun choke question?

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
Carlo1137
Valued Shotgunner

Shotgun choke question?

Post by Carlo1137 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:28 am

Can anyone suggest a good brand of chokes to use for your 870? Any brand to stay away from? :?:
BETTER TO BE JUDGED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Shotgun choke question?

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:36 am

I use basic Remington choke tubes. They're priced well, and seem to get the job done just fine. I've also heard good things about Carlson's choke tubes, which are in the same price range.

Make sure whatever you buy is compatible with the shot you plan on sending through it.

I also use Permatex Anti-Seize lubricant paste on the threads so they're protected from galling and corrosion, and easy to remove even after heavy shooting (I've never needed a choke tube wrench, just my finger). You can get it at any half-decent tool shop or hardware store for cheap, and even a small tube lasts a long time. There are plenty of overpriced choke tube lubricant products out there, but I've personally used the Permatex to assemble high-end industrial casting equipment; it can handle a day at the range, no problem.

Carlo1137
Valued Shotgunner

Post by Carlo1137 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:35 pm

Synchronizor wrote:I use basic Remington choke tubes. They're priced well, and seem to get the job done just fine. I've also heard good things about Carlson's choke tubes, which are in the same price range.

Make sure whatever you buy is compatible with the shot you plan on sending through it.

I also use Permatex Anti-Seize lubricant paste on the threads so they're protected from galling and corrosion, and easy to remove even after heavy shooting (I've never needed a choke tube wrench, just my finger). You can get it at any half-decent tool shop or hardware store for cheap, and even a small tube lasts a long time. There are plenty of overpriced choke tube lubricant products out there, but I've personally used the Permatex to assemble high-end industrial casting equipment; it can handle a day at the range, no problem.

Thank you for the info!

pesty3782
New Shotgunner

Post by pesty3782 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:41 pm

I use standard remington chokes also...never an issue with them out hunting or just fun. I used standard gun oil on the threads and never had a choke stick or come out. Lately i have been playing with a pattern master choke and love it.

Tony P.

Carlo1137
Valued Shotgunner

Post by Carlo1137 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:10 pm

pesty3782 wrote:I use standard remington chokes also...never an issue with them out hunting or just fun. I used standard gun oil on the threads and never had a choke stick or come out. Lately i have been playing with a pattern master choke and love it.

Tony P.
Thanks All! I Finally found a Improved cylinder around the locations I go. It was tough to find on line and any local store!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:23 pm

Carlo1137 wrote:Thanks All! I Finally found a Improved cylinder around the locations I go. It was tough to find on line and any local store!
Really? They're pretty easy to find here in the Eastern WA/northern ID area. The Cabelas up on the border has a great selection, as do most of the smaller sporting goods stores. I actually found my skeet barrel in the corner of a dusty little hole-in-the-wall surplus store just across the WA-ID border, and the guy tossed in my IC and a Modified tubes to sweeten the deal. The catch-all gun/sporting/clothing/hardware store in my town has some great prices, it's where I got my full tube.

If you're looking for a specific choke online, Ebay usually has a decent selection of Remchoke tubes with the basic ones in the $10-$20 range.

Carlo1137
Valued Shotgunner

Post by Carlo1137 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:49 pm

Synchronizor wrote:
Carlo1137 wrote:Thanks All! I Finally found a Improved cylinder around the locations I go. It was tough to find on line and any local store!
Really? They're pretty easy to find here in the Eastern WA/northern ID area. The Cabelas up on the border has a great selection, as do most of the smaller sporting goods stores. I actually found my skeet barrel in the corner of a dusty little hole-in-the-wall surplus store just across the WA-ID border, and the guy tossed in my IC and a Modified tubes to sweeten the deal. The catch-all gun/sporting/clothing/hardware store in my town has some great prices, it's where I got my full tube.

If you're looking for a specific choke online, Ebay usually has a decent selection of Remchoke tubes with the basic ones in the $10-$20 range.
Cool, thanks for the info. I actually live 30 mins from Cabellas and I was not able to find the improved cylinder there. I checked in wholesale as well from Federal way to Olympia, none had them in stock, even Walmart. I got lucky when I went to Silverdale wholesale sports. They had them while I was looking for a 25 round mag for my 10/22, but no luck with the 10/22 mag.

Bastard File
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bastard File » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:37 am

I use Rem-Chokes in IC and have had very good luck with them. Works great with buckshot and slugs as well. Being as I'm pretty simple...I like to keep things simple. I use Abu-Garcia real grease on the threads and have never had an issue.