Halographic site for 870

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
Mr. Knowitall

Halographic site for 870

Post by Mr. Knowitall » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:07 pm

Hello,
I have an 870 and just wanted to know what you recommend for a halo.
Thank you guys

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Halographic site for 870

Post by Scorpion8 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:38 pm

Optic choices are like any other opinion - everybody has their own likes and dislikes. Check the forum posts for pics of various HD-type 870's to get an idea of what you like and go try them out at your LGS.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

aegusto
Active Shotgunner

Post by aegusto » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:15 am

Are you using the term "halographic" to refer to all electronic sights, or are you interested in holographic sights only?

Broadly, there are two categories of electronic sights: (1) reflex sights (most commonly Aimpoint); and (2) holographic sights (most commonly EOTech). There are many versions of both on the market.

The first question is, "Do you want reflex or holographic?" The second question is, "Which brand of reflex or holographic do you want?"

Offhand, I do not recall having seen a holographic sight on a shotgun, but I'm sure someone has tried it.

I've seen lots of reflex sights on shotguns.

I am in the "not so sure" category. While I see the argument for electronic sights on an AR15, I am not convinced of their utility on pistols or shotguns.

For a shotgun, give me a large front bead like the XS Big Dot.

Do some googling for "comparison reflex holographic sights." That should get you up to speed on the general characteristics. Then it is down to budget and personal preference.

After you pick a sight, we can move on to the question of which mount ...

Unless you are an experienced shotgunner with lots of trigger time and are looking for an edge in competition, I would recommend spending the money on ammunition and training.

ChillyB
Super Shotgunner

Post by ChillyB » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:27 pm

My HD shotguns dont have any optic. My opinion is red dots on defensive shotguns and pistols slow you down. You're aiming when you should be shooting.

I have a trijicon RMR on a Scalarworks Sync I'm about to mount on one shotgun. That's for hunting turkeys. This combo gives me as low a profile as I think is possible with a red dot. The stock is a high-comb trap stock so I can mount the shotgun with a proper cheek weld and see the dot clearly. I loathe tall mounts on shotguns, which is my primary gripe with saddle mounts (I have other gripes with them).
20201129_112525.jpg
20201129_112525.jpg (317 KiB) Viewed 5878 times

ChillyB
Super Shotgunner

Post by ChillyB » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:37 pm

Dont be this guy.
s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg (19.24 KiB) Viewed 5877 times

USAF Shooter
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by USAF Shooter » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:49 pm

I have tried both Red Dots and Holographic sights on my various 870's in the past. My conclusion, and in my opinion you are much better off with plain old Iron Sights or a Bead Sight as the Shotgun is not a long range weapon like an AR15. Now if you're set on having a Holographic Sight on your Shotgun, more power to you. There is really nothing wrong with having one; I'm just saying they're not really necessary. One last thing about electronic sights on shotguns is that you have to take the time to turn it on and make sure your battery or battery's are in good order. Basically I'm saying that it's much easier to grab your shotgun and be ready to go with Iron Sights/Bead Sight. As I said, I've tried just about everything you can mount on a shotgun, and my experience is why I'm saying what I am. Good Luck! Have fun.
Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...

ChillyB
Super Shotgunner

Post by ChillyB » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:35 am

Great point on battery maintenance. A red dot with continuous-on run time not measured in years (plural) is a non-starter for me on any firearm. Aimpoint PRO and Trijicon RMR are my favorites. The larger trijicon are terrific but out of my range.

aegusto
Active Shotgunner

Post by aegusto » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:22 pm

:shock:
Last edited by aegusto on Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

USAF Shooter
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by USAF Shooter » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:37 am

That's a nice Red Dot. Trijicon makes a good quality product.

USAF Shooter
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by USAF Shooter » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:15 am

aegusto wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:22 pm
Now I have seen a holographic sight on a shotgun.
That's a Red Dot sight, not Holographic.