help barrel ID

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
Abureels4me

help barrel ID

Post by Abureels4me » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:41 am

I have a Wingmaster barrel that is unmarked as to maker or chamber size. The rib is also different than any of my other Rems.. It is 30" and takes RemChokes.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Re: help barrel ID

Post by Scorpion8 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:36 pm

That's an interesting rib, and looks like a custom job. First off I would call Remington customer service with your receiver serial number and they can tell you if the Wingmaster was a special custom shop order, and when it was produced. Almost all Wingmasters were made for 3" and 2-3//4" shells, so you should be safe there, although you could try just racking a 3-1/2" shell thru the system to see if it functions. Check the chamber depth also. Remington may be able to tell you more about the barrel also.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

BKinzey
Senior Shotgunner

Post by BKinzey » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:52 pm

I can't identify that barrel for you but I can say I have the REP in the oval stamp on at least 2 of my Remington barrels. Interestingly the stamps are on the exposed portion of the barrel where you can see it without disassembly.

Abureels4me

Post by Abureels4me » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:40 pm

I bought the barrel at a gun show a few weeks ago. It is the best shooting barrel I've ever had on a shotgun.

Romulus
Valued Shotgunner

Post by Romulus » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:04 pm

Maybe the markings were polished off by previous owner(s)/gunsmiths...I see a few telltale signs of overpolishing: rounded edges, dishing, etc...