Picatinny saddle mount for 870 20 gauge? Or alt Red Dot?

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
TeeGee

Picatinny saddle mount for 870 20 gauge? Or alt Red Dot?

Post by TeeGee » Tue May 12, 2020 12:30 am

I just got a Burris fast fire 3 red dot sight, for my 870 express 20 gauge, to use turkey hunting. I bought a B-square saddle mount hoping its weaver-style would work for the fast fire. It didn't fit. (Supposedly some weaver mounts could because supposedly weaver is not a spec so much as a style. At least that's what tech guy at Burris tells me.) So, I bought a picatinny saddle mount. But, I don't like it. It's from China, it doesn't sit nicely, it's got sharp edges, already cut my trigger hand on heavy recoil. But all that I can deal with. What I really don't like is how high it puts the red dot above the natural sight line. Yes, it allows you to see the iron sight underneath the rail, which I suppose is nice. But it puts it much higher than necessary beyond that. I'd have to get a 2" cheek pad to make it fit, and even then I'm not sure how it'd feel. The B-square seemed better in that regard, but of course it didn't fit the fast fire.

So....

Any good picatinny saddle mounts out there for the 870 express 20 gauge? If I have to get the gun drilled and tapped I suppose I will, but I was hoping not to.

Or... I suppose I could return the Fastfire, and get some other red dot scope that mounts to a weaver, or that is otherwise lower profile. Any thoughts on that too?

BKinzey
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Picatinny saddle mount for 870 20 gauge? Or alt Red Dot?

Post by BKinzey » Thu May 14, 2020 10:01 pm

You may have already seen this link:

https://www.burrisoptics.com/blog/mount ... ing-tricks

I haven't really looked into saddle mounts. Wondered about the height problem you described.

Lots of manufacturers offer them, somebody has to offer a flush mount. Just noticed the Ad link above to Brownells has a full length flush mount. Probably overkill for what you need.

TeeGee

Re: Picatinny saddle mount for 870 20 gauge? Or alt Red Dot?

Post by TeeGee » Fri May 15, 2020 12:47 am

Yes I saw that, thanks. I decided to go with a meadow creek rib mount, since it’s not a permanent attachment but otherwise it seems like it should be nice and low profile.