870 Tactical mag spring

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
La_leo

870 Tactical mag spring

Post by La_leo » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:43 pm

Sorry I tried to post this on an old thread but nobody saw it. I have a specific question. I bought a brand new "870 tactical 7 shot " for DIRT CHEAP. This makes my 5th 870. I've bought a few upgrade parts for it and polished the chamber.( I think it's misleading to call it a 7 shot. The mag tube holds 6 2 3/4 shells. )Anyway, while getting the packing grease out I removed the magazine tube spring. It seems VERY weak. I mean it doesn't even pop the little plastic retainer up. Previously, I had an old school 870 with the standard 5 shot mag. I bought the Remington 2 shot extension for it but have since removed it. THAT spring is much longer and stiffer (gigity) than the one in my new 870 tactical 7 shot. So i figured since I upgraded the carrier dog spring I'd swap the magazine tube spring with the one that came with my 2 shot extension. That being said it definitely seems too long, I really had to shove it down the tube. I'm going to not use it. Does the WOLFF 6-7 shot spring be better suited? Has anyone had problems with these so called 7 shot models?

Germansheperd
Senior Shotgunner

Re: 870 Tactical mag spring

Post by Germansheperd » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:38 pm

I’d use the spring that came in the 2 shot extension.