Grip issue: 870 with Magpul forend

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
oshia86

Grip issue: 870 with Magpul forend

Post by oshia86 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:37 pm

Hello.

This past weekend I was out at a local range trying out my newly reconfigured 870 Express. I purchased the gun in Dec 17 and have since decided to add the Magpul stock and forend to the gun, as well as an 18" barrel, from the standard 28". This particular range only allows slugs (I had 2.75" and 3" slugs on me and shot both) to be shot from a shotgun due to the nature of shot to destroy the plywood targets. Well, I discovered that, as configured, the gun forend is much harder for me to hold onto while shooting these slugs. Twice over the range of 30 shots I had an issue where the forend would actually pull out of the grip of my hand. So, I am looking to you guys for advice, I've been looking at add-ons to the forend that will allow me to keep a better hold of it.

With that said, I have been looking at various options to make sure I don't lose grip of the gun. So far I have looked at the Magpul AFG, AFG-2, M-Lok AFG, and the M-Lok Hand Stop kit. I been browsing all over these forums and found many people use the AFG/AFG-2. Then I found the following thread -

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2158&p=13678&hilit ... rip#p12295

Seems as though I should stay away from the AFG's? Would the Hand Stop kit work? Should I give up on the forend and try something a little more contoured to my hand? Any other suggestions?

I will also like to mention, that due to a slight abnormality with the way my elbows work (i know, weird, but not visible) I can not extend arms out in front of me and have my hands face flat. They are always at an angle. I think this also doesn't help when I am trying to grip the forend as mostly it's my thumb, index and middle fingers doing the vast majority of the work. This is particularly why I have looked at the afg's as this would put less strain on my arm as I'm trying to fight my bodies natural mechanics.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Andrew

Specs: Remington 870 Express with 18" bead sight barrel, S&J type 3 follower, non-mim extractor, magul stock/forend

alpha15
Valued Shotgunner

Re: Grip issue: 870 with Magpul forend

Post by alpha15 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:41 pm

oshia86 wrote:Hello.

This past weekend I was out at a local range trying out my newly reconfigured 870 Express. I purchased the gun in Dec 17 and have since decided to add the Magpul stock and forend to the gun, as well as an 18" barrel, from the standard 28". This particular range only allows slugs (I had 2.75" and 3" slugs on me and shot both) to be shot from a shotgun due to the nature of shot to destroy the plywood targets. Well, I discovered that, as configured, the gun forend is much harder for me to hold onto while shooting these slugs. Twice over the range of 30 shots I had an issue where the forend would actually pull out of the grip of my hand. So, I am looking to you guys for advice, I've been looking at add-ons to the forend that will allow me to keep a better hold of it.

With that said, I have been looking at various options to make sure I don't lose grip of the gun. So far I have looked at the Magpul AFG, AFG-2, M-Lok AFG, and the M-Lok Hand Stop kit. I been browsing all over these forums and found many people use the AFG/AFG-2. Then I found the following thread -

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2158&p=13678&hilit ... rip#p12295

Seems as though I should stay away from the AFG's? Would the Hand Stop kit work? Should I give up on the forend and try something a little more contoured to my hand? Any other suggestions?

I will also like to mention, that due to a slight abnormality with the way my elbows work (i know, weird, but not visible) I can not extend arms out in front of me and have my hands face flat. They are always at an angle. I think this also doesn't help when I am trying to grip the forend as mostly it's my thumb, index and middle fingers doing the vast majority of the work. This is particularly why I have looked at the afg's as this would put less strain on my arm as I'm trying to fight my bodies natural mechanics.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Andrew

Specs: Remington 870 Express with 18" bead sight barrel, S&J type 3 follower, non-mim extractor, magul stock/forend
Talon grips makes a rubberized grip kit that fits that forend. I'm gonna be ordering it for mine.

https://talongungrips.com/grips/magpul/ ... orend.html

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

oshia86

Post by oshia86 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:19 pm

Thanks. You know, I haven't even thought of something like that. I do have a pair of gloves that provide tons of extra grip. I can try those next time I'm out. This doesn't help with my ergonomic issue though, but that may just be something I just have to live with.

alpha15
Valued Shotgunner

Post by alpha15 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:38 pm

oshia86 wrote:Thanks. You know, I haven't even thought of something like that. I do have a pair of gloves that provide tons of extra grip. I can try those next time I'm out. This doesn't help with my ergonomic issue though, but that may just be something I just have to live with.
I always wear gloves when shooting long guns.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Klagz13
Shotgunner

Post by Klagz13 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:36 am

I put the hand stop kit in my shockwave, but on my 870 I have the knoxx forend and have never slipped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:20 am

I didn't like the Magpul fore end from the start. It was ugly and just didn't feel good in the hand. It felt to wide and the hard plastic seemed like it would be hard to hang on to. I replaced it with in 30 minutes of getting the gun home with a thinner Hogue rubber overmolded. I haven't had any trouble holding on to it and all i have fired is Hornday TAP and full powered Federal LE 00Buck.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

oshia86

Post by oshia86 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:50 pm

I ended up getting the Magpul hand stop kit at a local gun shop. This really gives me something to "bite" into on the forend. No issues now. I tried a few of the afg's and honestly I can't figure out why anyone would actually like one of those on their 870.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:09 am

oshia86 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:50 pm
I tried a few of the afg's and honestly I can't figure out why anyone would actually like one of those on their 870.
I'm with you there. I can see some point to it on a rifle, where it's mounted in a fixed position and you can pull back on it to help steady the gun (although I've shot an AR with an AFG installed, and didn't care for it at all), but on a pump gun, it would just give you less of a grip for when you need to bring the fore-end back forward.

AF Shooter
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by AF Shooter » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:25 pm

I have been using the Magpul Forend for years now and have had no problem with gripping or slipping. I actually can grip it very well and it even lets me shoot faster. If you're having a "gripping issue" you can always order some grip tape from Amazon and put a few strips on the Forend.

Defensor Fortis!