Recoil Pad - 12 gauge Wingmaster - Non Express

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
ABL1111
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Recoil Pad - 12 gauge Wingmaster - Non Express

Post by ABL1111 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:20 pm

I just received a recoil pad I ordered, a Limbsaver, that specifically says it should fit my gun, but it is at least 1/2" or more shorter than it needs to be.

The gun is in what looks like new, OEM condition. I removed the butt plate, and quickly realized that the Limbsaver was far too short - its not even close.

Does anyone have a recommendation ? I will use the gun primarily for deer hunting.

Currently, the gun has a 40 year old, slide-on, rubber recoil pad. Its old 'n ugly.

**. Just looked, and I'm not sure if this matters, but the gun is a "BDL" version - not sure what that means and if it has a different stock shape ?

Thx

efriedrich
Active Shotgunner

Re: Recoil Pad - 12 gauge Wingmaster - Non Express

Post by efriedrich » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:21 pm

I get the slip on Limbsaver Airtech from Walmart, $20 and fits great, size small for a wood stock.
Attachments
LImbsaver.jpg
LImbsaver.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 7228 times

John A.
Super Shotgunner

Post by John A. » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:43 pm

The slip ons' work alright.

I have one on an old NEF break action.

The airtech limbsaver that I put on my 870 is actually a little larger than the stock. It's not a lot, but if you look close, the pad is larger than the wood stock is.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you have ignorant gun laws.
-John A.

ABL1111
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by ABL1111 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:11 pm

I have an old slip on one and am looking for something that looks like it was meant to be there. Is there anything g like that ? It seems that there are different butt shapes ( that reads and sounds funny ! )...

I'm not sure its because I have an older model WIngmaster or a 'BDL' version, but 'my butt' has a curve to it toward the bottom, where others are more straight ( now I'm just having fun with it ).

Anyway - I'm looking for something that works great, screws in as an almost exact replacement for the stock, butt cap.

FYI - Behind the cover, the butt on my rifle has (2) large diameter, deep holes drilled to help with reducing weight - I've seen others online where its just one large oval hole.

efriedrich
Active Shotgunner

Post by efriedrich » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:29 pm

The 870 BDL was a version of the standard field grade 870, but with a select walnut stock. The Limbsaver and Remington Supercell (screw on models) are for 2004 and newer guns. If you don't want a slip on goggle grind to fit recoil pads and that may be your best bet. You could always look on ebay for an older recoil pad you might find one that way. If you didn't like the looks of the Limbsaver slip on Pachmayr also makes one in black or brown. Both of these are excellent pads for hunting, durability and absorbing recoil. I hunt hard from July-March and shoot thousands of rounds a year through my shotguns with these pads on them.
Last edited by efriedrich on Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABL1111
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by ABL1111 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:28 pm

Thanks for the guidance. I actually have one of the Pachmayr ones on there now. It must be 30 years old if not more.

I was hoping for an exact fit - maybe someone has found an application that works for the old Wingmaster. If there is a screw-on one that could be trimmed, I could do that. However, if I had to cut the Limbsaver one I'm returning - I can't see how I'd be able to trim it and have it look right ( Trimming the plastic base would be easy, but the rubbery stuff is a different story ).

I just don't want to continue ordering them online to find out that they're too short or not trim'able.

By the way, doe you have a rifled barrel and if so what rounds does your gun like ?

efriedrich
Active Shotgunner

Post by efriedrich » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:01 am

ABL1111 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:28 pm
By the way, do you have a rifled barrel
Nope, just chokes for me. Rifled barrels means riffled slugs and scopes and that's not necessary where and how I hunt.
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (59.16 KiB) Viewed 7212 times

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:08 am

ABL1111 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:28 pm
If there is a screw-on one that could be trimmed, I could do that. However, if I had to cut the Limbsaver one I'm returning - I can't see how I'd be able to trim it and have it look right ( Trimming the plastic base would be easy, but the rubbery stuff is a different story ).
What you would do is get a pad that's specifically a "grind-to-fit" product. Those have both a hard base and cushion that are designed to be sanded/filed down to match the lines of your stock. This video does a good job of showing the process.

ABL1111
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by ABL1111 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:52 am

WOW ! I watched that whole video. Thats a real finesse job. Very little room for error ! The gunsmith makes it look easy ! That put things into perspective ! I would have to remove the stock from the gun and do everything he did in the vid SLOWLY and with much care.

The one thing that I am concerned with, aside from sanding the sh*t out of my original, perfect, clean stock - is, I don't know what kind of protection from recoil that the eraser-colored, rubber pad gives. A shotgun can have brutal recoil and I was looking for something that is very effective to reduce this.

I'm hoping to attempt this with the right recoil pad, or I will have to accept a slip on...

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:11 am

There are a number of different grind-to-fit pads out there, and they're not all hard rubber. Compressible materials can be grind-to-fit as well.