1954 barrel swap ?

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
TexasArmor84
Senior Shotgunner

1954 barrel swap ?

Post by TexasArmor84 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:19 am

Here is my 1978 wingmaster originally it came with a 28” non railed barrel with front bead which was in bad shape. I also wanted my 870 for deer. So I purchased a 20” blued barrel with rifle sights off eBay it has some use so it went perfect with the receiver not sure how old it is.ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ABL1111
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Re: 1954 barrel swap ?

Post by ABL1111 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:53 am

You have nice looking gun. I can't wait to shoot mine ! It's sat in it's case, with that long barrel, un-shot for more than 30+ years. No one hunts birds in my family. I've killed a deer with each of the guns my Dad has passed down - this is the last one. It literally looks like it came out of the box - even this new barrel I just scored is NEW looking.

I just did a side by side comparison of my 870 Wingmaster and my Ithaca Model 37 DeerSlayer - the only shotgun I've ever used for deer - it's a smooth barrel, slug gun - that's why I wanted the 870 with a rifled barrel. The Ithaca is lighter and is shorter from trigger to butt. The 870, excluding the barrel feels longer to the front grip. Both feel great ! I've never loved the front sight on the Ithaca and I'm not sure I like this new 870 rifled one either. I'll check it out at the range soon. Not sure what options I'd have in changing the front sight.

If your gun is rifled, what ammo does it like for accuracy and to knock down a whitetail ?

I'm also thinking of installing a shoulder strap although I rarely use the one I have on the Ithaca. The reality is that this gun won't see too much use. I usually use a rifle when I hunt, but there is a 1 month shotgun-only season much closer to where I live. Its tough, flat, and thick hunting so it's usually a quick shot ( or, no shot ).

TexasArmor84
Senior Shotgunner

Post by TexasArmor84 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:18 am

Thanks I acquired this 870 for $100 and just recently put the 20” barrel $100 on is not sure it’s rifled more than likely it’s smooth bore I will check when I get a chance. I am also in the same boat you are in when looking for proper ammo but I am currently looking online for tips.I think it’s great that you have had guns passed down from your father. Could you post some pictures of the 870 I would like to see it.

ABL1111
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by ABL1111 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:24 pm

Here are a few pix. For all the years I've owned it I never even looked at this gun due to its long barrel and initially, Remington saying based on the serial # that it did not have removable barrel. Not knowing much about shotguns, I accepted that - but, I'm stubborn so I called them again a few years later and got a different answer. Glad I did - now I can't stop thinking about hunting with it.

I'm not sure what the options would be for better sights - my eyes ' ain't ' what they used to be and I would eventually like to put a shoulder strap on ( the type that connects to the the barrel nut and by screwing into the stock... And, I need to find the Sabot rounds it likes.

I had posted the pix - they were their for a day and then were blocked by photo bucket. Figured a different way.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:01 am

Various aftermarket companies offer drop-in replacement sight elements for those Remington adjustable rifle sights. Larger sights, fiber optics, tritium, etc. Search around, and check out other builds on the forums. I'm sure you can find something that you think'll be an improvement for you.

And yeah, Photobucket sucks. It used to be okay, but it's become a ridiculously over-complicated and bloated website, and images posted here using Photobucket stop working in short order, if they work at all.

TexasArmor84
Senior Shotgunner

Post by TexasArmor84 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:39 pm

ABL1111 Thank you for the pictures just beautiful wingmaster!

ABL1111
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by ABL1111 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:16 pm

SYNCH - Those sights are pretty awesome. I guess I'm turning into my father - old school is starting to be a relative term ! I like the Williams style peep - have always liked that idea although I know the fiber optics stuff is very nice...

Will the front sight slide out with pressure ? How does it remove for replacement ?

TEXAS - Thanks - I'm 'pumped' that I found that short, rifled barrel. Now the gun has some real value to me. I think I'm done with rifles and shotguns - a recent Field & Stream article mentioned the classic American guns to own - I accidentally have most them; Ruger 10/22, Marlin 336, Savage 110, Ithaca 37 Deer Slayer, and the Remington 870 ( ! ) - no mention of an old '60's Marlin semi .22 I have, but hey, you can't when 'em all. They mentioned the Buck 110 knife too which I have owned for 36 years and gutted many a deer !

I would never sell any of these guns - ever - all were were my Dad's except the Marlin 336, my first hunting gun, which he bought for me at Woolworths for $150 with a scope back in the early 80's. The Ruger 10/22 I just bought from a buddy for my 8 year old son. I have to teach my boy the value of a good gun and how to maintain and care for them... He already is deadly with a scoped pellet gun and a can !

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:02 am

ABL1111 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:16 pm
Will the front sight slide out with pressure ? How does it remove for replacement ?
I believe it drifts out in a specific direction. I've never done it myself, but I recall others posting about it here in the past. Search through the forum and see if you can find one of those threads. If not, I can give it a try when I have a free bit of time, but I'm working 12-14 hour days this month, so no promises on being prompt about it.