Incoming 870p need a +2 or do I need +3? Which brand?

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
filthy phil
Shotgunner

Incoming 870p need a +2 or do I need +3? Which brand?

Post by filthy phil » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:39 pm

Gun prime deal for $318 shipped :D :D
Which extension is slightly past bbl end?
Are they all created equal?
I've had a nordic on a benelli I don't know anything about Choate. I know there are others.
Thanks
Friends dont let friends buy mossberg

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Incoming 870p need a +2 or do I need +3? Which brand?

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:09 am

There are a ton of extension options for the 870. What length is your barrel?

filthy phil
Shotgunner

Post by filthy phil » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:51 am

Isn't 870p 20"?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:16 am

870Ps can be had with a variety of barrel lengths.

filthy phil
Shotgunner

Post by filthy phil » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:26 pm

Yes it's 20"
Should I stick with rem extension or nordic or are Choate or the others just as good?

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:21 am

+3 will be flush with the barrel

Here is overview of many extensions: http://www.rem870.com/2015/06/08/7-maga ... on-combat/
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:58 am

For a 20" barrel, a +3 kit is generally going to match. Sometimes, you can tweak a +3 kit into a +4 with the right internals and shells.

The Remington factory +3 extension is a good kit. I have it and like it. It's a 2-piece design that needs a bracket, so make sure you have the correct one for your barrel spacing. As a 2-piece, it's better for an install-and-done fighting build, rather than a multipurpose gun that you'll be reconfiguring often. Not a ton of internal space, but they're good for +3 with 2.75" shells, and are designed to prioritize reliability. The Remington extensions are a military design, so there is a bayonet end cap that'll stick out past the end of the barrel about a half-inch. This won't hurt anything, but some folks don't like the way that looks.

S&J Hardware makes some really great single-piece extensions. I've been reviewing one of their MK II +2 kits, and I'm really impressed. They say the +3 version is designed to line up with a 20" 870 barrel, you can email them if you want to know the exact length. They're not the cheapest option, but they're really tough and well-designed. Excellent reliability and good internal space.

Choate's +3 is another single-piece kit. I have one here for evaluation, but I haven't really played with it much. Seems to have potential, though. I can say that it'll line up with a 20" barrel nicely, and it has good internal space. You can tweak this one into a +4 if your shells aren't crimped too long. It's more of a budget kit, which isn't necessarily a bad thing depending on your needs, but it's not built as heavily as some other options.

Wilson Combat extensions are really great budget kits; tough, reliable, with some nice extras and an array of options for sling attachment points to choose from. I normally recommend these for budget builds because they're really affordable and all you give up for the low cost is a bit of refinement and some minor side features, but they're only made in +1 and +2 versions. Still might be worth considering, unless you're really set on a full-length mag (though keep in mind that a longer tube with more shells will also add weight).

I haven't used the Nordic extensions personally. They're modular all-aluminum kits, and are really popular with competition guys. May not be the best choice if your 870 is going to see real rough use, since they don't use a really high-strength aluminum alloy, but they should work fine for HD. Like a lot of high-end competition gear, they're on the expensive end of the scale.

filthy phil
Shotgunner

Post by filthy phil » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:57 am

Most excellent reviews
Any of those test units for sale lmk pls 8-)

filthy phil
Shotgunner

Post by filthy phil » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:43 pm

It's certainly not fancy. Came with a side saddle too

Goodgun
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Goodgun » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:03 pm

I'm a fan of the Remington extensions. I run a +3 on my 20' and its never let me down! A bit pricey, got to have a tool of some kind handy, stud rattles a little..but the durability, bayonet mount, and good track record with the law and the military make up for any downsides in my eyes..