SureShell® Polymer Shotshell Carriers

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
torkwench13

Post by torkwench13 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:05 pm

Hi! I took a look at Mesa Tactical's website regarding their aluminum shell carriers and noticed they offer polymer shell carriers. The look like an affordable version of the aluminum carriers. Has anyone tried them out?

Vitaly
Owner

Re: SureShell® Polymer Shotshell Carriers

Post by Vitaly » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:00 pm

I've had a chance to test one on the range. It looks good, holds shotshells reliably and also affordable.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

torkwench13

Post by torkwench13 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:25 pm

Thank you! That's just what I wanted to hear! ;)

MrNrdy

Post by MrNrdy » Sun May 21, 2017 1:17 am

I just put on the 6 shell aluminum version today on my shotgun. I expect it will last a long as the shotgun. Buy once cry once right?
I think if I did not get the aluminum type I would look at the option with the velcro carrier cards that you can slap on the side. When out, pull it off and slap a full one on. The polymer I would wonder how it would hold up on a drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed May 24, 2017 1:40 am

MrNrdy wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 1:17 am
The polymer I would wonder how it would hold up on a drop.
You might be surprised. Modern high-tech polymers & composites can be very strong & resilient if properly selected & formulated for the application. Impact-resistant plastics have an excellent ability to deform elastically - temporarily - before springing back to their original shape. Aluminum is a more brittle material with less elasticity, and while its raw strength may be better, it will tend to crack or permanently deform if subjected to a similar amount of strain. For an item like a shell carrier, permanent deformation is just as bad as outright breaking.

The case for aluminum isn't helped if the manufacturer decides to go for a less-expensive or more readily-available general-purpose alloy, rather than a superior high-strength alloy (calling it something meaningless like "aircraft-grade" or "military-grade" aluminum rather than providing a specific alloy & temper is usually a dead giveaway that they cheaped-out on the material). Depending on the alloy and heat treatment, aluminum can be stronger than many steels, or softer and more malleable than pure copper. Common, inexpensive, easy-to-work alloys like 5052 or 6061 tend to be right around the middle of this strength range. They usually offer other advantages like weld-ability, improved form-ability, or corrosion resistance in harsh chemical environments, but those aren't major concerns for machined firearm accessories like shell carriers.