TacStar standard or slimline sidesaddle?

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
Malpaso
Shotgunner

TacStar standard or slimline sidesaddle?

Post by Malpaso » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:10 pm

Any pros/cons with the slimline TacStar sidesaddle v. the standard? Obviously the size is a factor, how about the rubber loops as opposed ot the hard plastic?

wonderwolf
New Shotgunner

Re: TacStar standard or slimline sidesaddle?

Post by wonderwolf » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:57 am

Just looking at the slimline for the first time online. Hadn't realized they released a "upgrade"....it looks like a possible option for something like 3 gun or 2 gun but I'm not sure how the mounts would hold up to a good lateral force. Do you use their standard now? Do you feel like it snags or takes up too much rel-estate?

I'm interested in peoples opinion of the slimline as well...the loops look like they would drag if they are out of rubber....but I know not all rubber is equal.

Malpaso
Shotgunner

Post by Malpaso » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:48 pm

wonderwolf wrote:Do you use their standard now? Do you feel like it snags or takes up too much rel-estate?
Just purchased one after a class where the instructor was using one. I have not used it yet. I was looking for comparative options for my second 870 when I ran across the slimline.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:02 pm

I've only used the original TacStar sidesaddle. For the money, it works well enough. If you really want something you can take to war, there are better options, but for a HD or recreational shotgun, the TacStar gets the job done and leaves you more money for practice. Installation is the key to getting them to work well, in my experience. There are a few extra steps you can take that will make the TacStar hold up to use and recoil much better.

Malpaso
Shotgunner

Post by Malpaso » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:06 pm

Synchronizor wrote:There are a few extra steps you can take that will make the TacStar hold up to use and recoil much better.
Could you expand? I've seen reference to putting the plate on first, then attaching the carrier v. putting them together first. I've seen use red loctite on the carrier screws and blue on the plate screws. What do you recommend?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:07 am

There are a few things I've figured out that seem to help.

First, pull out your trigger plate assembly and take the trigger plate pin detent springs off. This makes installation much easier, and saves wear on the detent springs.

Second, take off sidesaddle's plastic shell carrier, install the aluminum base plate by itself, and check the engagement of the mounting screws. The screws that come with the kit don't seen to be made to very tight tolerances, and often don't engage the threads very well. Since the baseplate is just 1/8" aluminum (and apparently not a very strong alloy at that), you really want the screws to thread all the way through the plate. With my first TacStar sidesaddle, the front screw didn't even engage two turns of the baseplate's threads, and it didn't take long for it to tear out. If the screws don't make it all the way through the plate, get some that do. You'll need a #10-32 screw for the front, and a 1/4"-28 screw for the back. Any decently-stocked hardware or fastener store should have cap screws in those sizes in a variety of lengths. You'll want a screw that goes all the way through the baseplate, plus just a hair extra to avoid any taper on the fastener's end. If you can't find the right length, get a longer screw and cut it down.

And third, once you have the baseplate figured out, reinstall the plastic shell carrier piece, putting a dab of blue (red isn't necessary) threadlocker on each of the little flat-head screws. Without help from threadlocker, those screws love to fall out under recoil, and if you're shooting outdoors when it happens, good luck finding those little buggers.

Jamie
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Jamie » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:54 pm

Personally, I like the shot shell cards. Don't take up any width when empty, simple to refill, rip one off, slap a full one on. Cheaper and you don't have to deal with removing the stock pins and replacing with questionable screw assemblies.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:16 pm

You do have to stick Velcro to your receiver though, which has always been a sticking point for me (no pun intended). I use my one 870 for everything, and most of it isn't "tactical", so I don't like the idea of having a fuzzy receiver full-time. I do really like the concept though, especially if you're doing the whole tactical get-up thing and have room to carry extra full shell cards on your person.

Jamie
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Jamie » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:53 pm

The extra shell cards fit nicely into any pouch that an AR mag fits into, I get some dual use out of some of my gear! :D

alpha15
Valued Shotgunner

Post by alpha15 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:38 pm

I don't know. I just buy the tacstar, throw the polymer she'll holder piece away and then cut me some industrial velcro to fit to the plate. Then I use velcro shot cards on it so the velcro isn't stuck to the side of my gun.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk