Duracoating

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
AkiroHikage
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Duracoating

Post by AkiroHikage » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:11 pm

I am going to be purchasing an 870 express tactical soon and I wanted to know if any one had any experience with duracoating your 870 or problems with the factory finish and rust. Now proper storage and cleaning can make any gun last, but it seems Duracoating can really add extra durability and even coloring options.

Any thoughts?
The tactical psychologist.

Randomguns
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Re: Duracoating

Post by Randomguns » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:26 am

There is a lot of info on the internet about it. I know Oregon is a long way from you but take a look at some of this guys stuff. Might give you some new ideas if you want to go that route. www.guncoat.com
This Space For Rent

AkiroHikage
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by AkiroHikage » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:08 pm

That is some nice work! If I go the duracoat route I would definitely just DIY it. I was thinking flat dark earth (likely Magpul's shade since I will use the MOE foregrip). I don't think I would attempt any patterns or stencils on my first try with Duracoat, but it is pretty user friendly.

Hntbambi
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Hntbambi » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:09 am

It's all in the prep work. Blast the surface with aluminum oxide soak it in acetone then spray it with your choice of finish (Duracoat, GunKote, Cerakote). I have a few guns to finish once I get my oven built. If you go with Cerakote, the finish is touch enough you can use a rattle can to add any patterns you want. If you don't like it hose it off with acetone and you have a clean canvas. Get a 2x4 and practice spraying.

AkiroHikage
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by AkiroHikage » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:37 am

I definitely second practicing first, I have spray painted quite a bit for models and whatnot, but if you have never sprayed practice! I actually may but a duracoat kit to try out on some pistol grips and other items just to get a feel for it.

Hntbambi do you think it would be necessary to do much aside from degreaser on the 870 tactical model that is already factory finish parkerized in black oxide? From what I have read duracoating to a parkerized surface is better than raw metal. There isn't much concern on the tolerances for an exterior painting on an 870 either.

Hntbambi
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Hntbambi » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:28 am

You are correct that DuraCoat can be applied over the parkerized finish. If I was not blasting it with AO, I would soak it (not just wipe it down) longer in acetone or methanol (race gas) to be sure it is properly degreased.