Aluminum Alloy Tactical Magazine Follower

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
rbalis

Aluminum Alloy Tactical Magazine Follower

Post by rbalis » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:47 pm

When installing my magazine extension kit, I was a little surprised by the cheap plastic orange follower that came with my shotgun. Has anyone purchased this item from SBE Precision?

It sells for $21 plus $5 for shipping at E-bay. It is less expensive than the one from GG&G:
http://www.gggaz.com/remington-870-follower.html

and I like the litte "tail" which I think helps it function better.
Remington 1911R1 -- My 870's Backup

teo2000
New Shotgunner

Re: Aluminum Alloy Tactical Magazine Follower

Post by teo2000 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:45 pm

CDM Gear
New Shotgunner

Re: Aluminum Alloy Tactical Magazine Follower

Post by CDM Gear » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:15 am

You will find an article on the blog about CDM Gear aluminum followers. We made about 100 of them, had them hard anodized, and sent them out for people to try. We found that the aluminum degraded over time as it slapped against the end of the magazine tube and the shell stops and so we are taking the design in another direction away from aluminum. If I felt good about selling them I would sell them but it was proven to be an issue over time and repeated use. We also felt that over time the stainless steel followers would wear the inside of the magazine tube. We felt that it was only a matter of time before rust became an issue as the harder stainless wears on the softer metal of the magazine tube. Although we are not ready for production on the new follower you are better off with the Delrin type followers for wear and durability.