S&J gen II mag extensions

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
TexasArmor84
Senior Shotgunner

Post by TexasArmor84 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:44 am

Anyone have the new gen II mag extension They would like to recommend they look better than others ive seen want to put on my Remington 870P thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasArmor84
Senior Shotgunner

Post by TexasArmor84 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:16 pm

S&J hardware

TexasArmor84
Senior Shotgunner

Re: S&J gen II mag extensions

Post by TexasArmor84 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:00 pm

Synchronizor can you chime in I was also looking into the GG&G magazine extension (New model). Woul like a good review on these two.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:10 am

I haven't used either extension, and I haven't heard enough about them to really make a recommendation. I'd love the opportunity to evaluate more magazine extensions, the S&J extensions especially are at the top of my list, but there's nothing currently in the works. Best I could do right now is help you interpret the sales descriptions for each kit, and compare the different features.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:36 pm

So, it's been awhile, but I recently completed a review of the S&J MK II +2 extension kit. Since this is the thread that got that project started, I figured I should update it. You can read all the details there, but long story short, the S&J MK II extensions are really good. I haven't had any personal experience with the GG&G extension to make a comparison, but the S&J has set the bar pretty high.

filthy phil
Shotgunner

Post by filthy phil » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:22 pm

$90! Ay carumba that's almost half what I paid for the gun :o
Friends dont let friends buy mossberg

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:15 am

Yeah, they're not cheap. If you're building on a budget, I'd probably point you toward something like the Wilson Combat +2 instead. But if you have the money to spend and want to step things up, the S&J kit is really nice, and in my opinion has enough refinement and extra features to justify its premium price tag.

5pointstar78

Post by 5pointstar78 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:52 am

Personally I love the Remington extension. The bayonet cap doesn't bother me and it comes with a barrel clamp. Best yet cost around $40!!!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:16 am

$40 is a pretty good deal, I'm used to seeing the factory extension kits at $50 - $75 street price.

The Remington extensions are good, but the single-piece S&J +2 has a lot more usable space in the tube (it can easily be a +3 with typical 2.75" shells) and it doesn't need a bracket to stay in place under recoil. The Remington +2 wasn't designed for maximum capacity; it has room for two more normal fold-crimped 2.75" shells (which, to be fair, is what the original military users were shooting), but with many 3" shells and even some unusually-long 2.75" shells, it's effectively a +1. And while the reinforcing bracket helps strengthen the extension and has a nice anti-slide design, it can complicate take-down/reassembly and is picky about what barrel it's used with. The factory extensions are nice for a dedicated fighting gun with a standard-profile barrel, especially if you want the modularity and easy repair of a two-piece system, but I reconfigure my gun a lot, and I really like the convenience of a single-piece. Having 7 rounds of buckshot under an 18.5" barrel for bedside duty is pretty nifty, too.