20 Gauge Light Mount

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
Holmes375
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Re: 20 Gauge Light Mount

Post by Holmes375 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:20 am

I have one of those LMT mounts. Very solid and minimal bulk. Never understood why they are not more popular. I also like the position the light is placed at with the LMT.

The new CDM UL mount looks very nice, and will be welcomed by those with Rem 870 20s.

aegusto
Active Shotgunner

Post by aegusto » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:45 am

Foiled again! My order of Oct. 22, 2015 was cancelled due to internal manufacturing difficulties at CDM. Now they have finally got a product to market:

http://www.cdmgear.com/lightmounts.html (scroll to the bottom of the page)

Problem is, "[t]his mount works only with internal magazine tube detent models ... that engage the inside of the magazine tube cap, not the barrel lug detent models."

I am not an engineer and all that sounds like gibberish to me. What it really means is that if your magazine cap looks like this:

the mount will not work on your shotgun. If your shotgun came with one of these thingies, it WILL work:

Of course, my shotgun is the old style, so no 20 gauge light mount for me!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:22 am

If I understand the description right, the issue is that the mount fits over the end of the barrel guide ring and under the magazine cap or extension, it covers up the magazine cap detent. With no magazine cap detent to engage, the cap or extension will come loose under recoil. You can get the same problem with under-cap sling plates. Since new-style mag caps are held in place by the teeth of the plastic spring retainers, they're not affected.

If you can come up with another way of securing your old-style magazine cap or extension against recoil, like using a wave washer or an extension that's clamped to the barrel, this light mount should work fine as long as it fits solidly.