Gun Cases - What to Buy?

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
Mrke1
New Shotgunner

Gun Cases - What to Buy?

Post by Mrke1 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:35 pm

I'm in the market for a new gun case for a recently purchased 870. Any suggestions? Would like a hard case, but it's not a necessity.
Remington 870 Express - Stock(Tactical Conversion in Progress)

RainMan_JH
Experienced Shotgunner

Re: Gun Cases - What to Buy?

Post by RainMan_JH » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:17 pm

I bought a hard case that looks just like this one at Dicks Sporting Goods. The one I bought is a different brand and was only 52.00 (US). It is a very nice case for the money. I also wanted a hard case, but not one of the cheap plastic ones as they felt like they would fall apart at any minute.

RichNZ
Global Moderator

Post by RichNZ » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:10 pm

As far as i'm concerned, a soft shoulder sleeve for shotty is a must have... come in so useful.

I need a hard case to use with my rifles too though, so next time I see a Pelican on special, i'm getting: http://www.basspro.com/Pelican-Case-175 ... 738/105756 They're incredibly solid.

jpfrog
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by jpfrog » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:07 am

+1 on the Pelicans. If you plan to travel by air and check your firearms, the Pelican is the way to go....it'll handle anything the baggage crew can throw at it, and if it's raining on the day you travel, the Pelican is waterproof (I believe) so its contents will be nice and dry when you get to your destination. Be aware though- you may spend as much or more on your Pelican as you did on your 870 depending on the model and condition you bought it in. That said, the Pelican can carry all sorts of things, including OTHER GUNS!

I plan on getting one someday- if I ever book that elk trip or long range rifle class it'll come in handy for my custom 300 Win Mag, and if I ever head north for upland bird hunts it'll hold my 870 Wingmaster that I'm restoring AND my Beretta O/U and keep them both nice and safe.

For trips from your house to the field or range, a good soft sleeve is all you need. Anything else is too bulky and will just get in the way once you get where you're going.

Mrke1
New Shotgunner

Post by Mrke1 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:30 am

I'm all for a soft sleeve. Any brand specifically I should start my search with?
Remington 870 Express - Stock(Tactical Conversion in Progress)

Hntbambi
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Hntbambi » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:05 am

I have a few Bob Allen soft side cases, Gun Guard hard plastic cases, and a couple aluminum cases.

I don't recommend long term storage in hard or soft cases. They attract moisture and I have seen many guns pulled out of cases with a nasty orange color (rust).

jpfrog
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by jpfrog » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:24 am

Hntbambi wrote:I have a few Bob Allen soft side cases, Gun Guard hard plastic cases, and a couple aluminum cases.

I don't recommend long term storage in hard or soft cases. They attract moisture and I have seen many guns pulled out of cases with a nasty orange color (rust).
Exactly right- if you're going to store it long term, getting a safe and a de-humidifier is the best option. If that's not an option, a light coat of oil on the gun, followed by slipping into a silicone type gun sock will help keep moister away from the metal. Also, keep it away from humidity...if your closet is close to your shower, I'd find another spot other than your closet to store it.

For soft cases- they're all pretty good. Just find one that fits your purpose. If you're duck hunting, you may want something that is rugged and can stand up to water and mud. If it's just going to the range in the back of your vehicle, any soft case will be fine as long as you like it and its price.

RandyWag
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by RandyWag » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:47 pm

RichNZ wrote:As far as i'm concerned, a soft shoulder sleeve for shotty is a must have... come in so useful.

I need a hard case to use with my rifles too though, so next time I see a Pelican on special, i'm getting: http://www.basspro.com/Pelican-Case-175 ... 738/105756 They're incredibly solid.

Pelican case all the way! if you have to money for it. My opinion is its the best
If you break into my house, be quiet, or ill wake up and unload on you.

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:29 pm

I think each type of gun cases has its own advantages and disadvantages...

Aluminum case
+The best protection possible
+Padding inside
+Easy to put firearm in and pull it out
+Additional space inside
-weight
-price
-bulky
-no shoulder strap

Ideal for transportation on airplane or car.

Plastic case
+Very good protection
+Padding inside
+Easy to put firearm in and pull it out
+Additional space inside
-weight
-price
-bulky
-no shoulder strap

Ideal for transportation on airplane, car or on short distances on the range.

Soft case
+Lightweight
+Lots of pouches for equipment
+Shoulder strap
-If case is too wide you have to use straps to secure weapon inside
-From poor to intermediate protection (depends on the padding thickness)

Very good for use on the range.

I have tried many of them and decided to order a custom soft case with thick padding, made exactly to fit my Remington 870 tightly. That is why there is no need to have straps inside the case.

Case has carry and shoulder straps and very comfortable.

Also, I asked to make a zipper just on the half of the case, so that bottom part of the case doesn't have a weak point (zipper). Of course, now I can insert a shotgun into case just from one side, but that made case more reliable.

Another thing which I requested was to make a carry strap not in the center of the bag but to move it a little to the front. Usually firearms are heavier from the front side.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun