4 or 6 Round Magazine Tube Barrel Option

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
Randomguns
Enthusiast Shotgunner

4 or 6 Round Magazine Tube Barrel Option

Post by Randomguns » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:05 pm

Just wanted to go over something that has been tossed back and forth several times on here. The pictures will show what I have done and not what I preach that you do.
Attachments
1,2&3 Forum Pics.jpg
The point of all this is to show how easily you can make your Remington “Tactical” model with the 6 round one piece tube more diverse. You do have options as far as the barrels go on these models. If you want to try an H&R barrel on your “Tactical” model with the 6 round one piece tube to use it in the field or to shoot clays and can’t find one on its own, buy the whole gun, it’s cheaper than just a Remington barrel. And if you want to put a “normal” Remington barrel on, you can with a dollar part that you can easily come up with. The one in the pictures is copper but you can make them with brass or PVC as well.
And no, I’m not trying to cut into Remington’s income by suggesting you buy H&R, besides, they are owned by the same company. And as far as the clones go, the ones I have are very well made (although a little rough in the finish department) all of the parts I’ve borrowed or swapped fit the Remington or the H&R.
You can actually be more diverse with the 6 round mag tube and barrel swapping than you can with a four round tube. You can go the other way around but I’m not going to go there.
1,2&3 Forum Pics.jpg (204.09 KiB) Viewed 4628 times
4,5&6 Forum Pics.jpg
4,5&6 Forum Pics.jpg (163.54 KiB) Viewed 4628 times
7 Forum Pic.jpg
7 Forum Pic.jpg (51.19 KiB) Viewed 4628 times
This Space For Rent

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: 4 or 6 Round Magazine Tube Barrel Option

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:54 pm

Cool idea, thanks for the info. I'd heard the H&R clones use a similar 6-round tube, but I've never really been able to play around with one.

What are you using as a spacer there? I've thought about spacers, but figured it would need to be more than just a piece of pipe or something to keep the barrel secure enough.

Randomguns
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Re: 4 or 6 Round Magazine Tube Barrel Option

Post by Randomguns » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:13 pm

That particular spacer is just a piece of 1" L hard copper. I made one with schedule 40 PVC which I prefer, with the exception of looks (too fat). Ideally, I will make one that fits the tube a little tighter out of aluminum, but that's too many projects down the road to worry about. As far as keeping the barrel secure enough, if you were dumb enough, you could probably take your mag nut off of your gun, hold the barrel on with your hand and fire it. That is barring any barrel obstructions that would create back-pressure. The threads that hold the nut on are not a design known for strength. Also on the clone, I removed the dimples for a tube extension, so when screw the nut on there is no detent so I just put a 15/16" O-ring over the threads and the nut seats nicely.
This Space For Rent