Upgrading an 870 "security"

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
ibn3rdc0re
New Shotgunner

Upgrading an 870 "security"

Post by ibn3rdc0re » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:50 am

So I'm looking at a big 5 ad from like 2 weeks ago and I'm wondering if I would be to able to upgrade some of the low end parts with some high end (wing master) parts.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Upgrading an 870 "security"

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:25 pm

Big 5 loves to call any short-barreled pump shotgun with black polymer furniture "security" instead of actually giving the model name.

It's probably an Express or Express Tactical model. For the most part, any 870 part is interchangeable between variants of the same gauge, but some of the new Express Tactical models have a nonstandard, one-piece, 6-round magazine tube:
These use all the same internals as other 870s, and will accept most of the same aftermarket accessories as well, but you're limited to 18.5" barrels specifically built for them. If you want to be able to use different barrels (such as a 20" HD setup, or a longer barrel for hunting or clays) without having custom gunsmithing done, you should try to find an 870 with a standard 4-round magazine tube and a +2 extension:
Functionally, it's the same thing, but you'll have a more versatile platform if you want to have multiple builds.

There are also left-hand 870s with unique barrels and other parts, and Super Magnum receivers use some different internals as well (though Super-Mag barrels can be used on a Magnum receiver, as long as you don't mind crappy patterns). There are a couple other RH Magnum 870 variants with special components, but those are all specialized models for LE or military; nothing Big 5 will sell.

Other than those caveats, parts from virtually any RH Magnum 12-ga 870 - Express, Marine, Wingmaster, Police, etc. - can be interchanged.

afff_667

Post by afff_667 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:12 pm

Wow!!! I just posted an introduction after joining this forum and found the answers to my initial questions in the first thread I read. Thanks, Synchronizor, your response answered the exact questions I came here to ask as regards the 870 Express Tactical and its barrel. It looks like I'll be looking for a plain Jane 870 to build up as my HD/SD weapon. Plus, it might be nice to be able to convert it back to a hunting configuration if I ever wanted to do so.

I'm looking forward to learning more here!!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:45 pm

If you can find one you like, buying a starting gun with a factory-installed magazine extension will save you from having to deal with detents inside the magazine tube, and you should also have a barrel with a locking ball in the guide ring, which helps keep the cap or extension from working loose under recoil.