Express trigger group

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
rebshooter

Express trigger group

Post by rebshooter » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:34 pm

Hi folks, I'm new to the forum and didn't find answers to this in "Search". I acquired an older 870 Express Magnum and the trigger group is metal, not plastic. Could this have been original to the gun or exchanged at a later date? SN is B0629xxM. Also when do you think it was made? Thanks.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Express trigger group

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:21 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Some of the older 870s used trigger guards with a powdered aluminum construction. I don't know if any Expresses ever came with it though, it may have been installed by a past owner who liked it better than the newer polymer part.

I believe there used to be one aftermarket group that made steel trigger groups for the 870. If that's what you have, you could probably make a fair profit on it.

As for the age of the gun, You can look up the barrel's date of manufacture based on the letter code stamped on the left side. Vitaly has a feature that'll look that up for you over on the main site. If the gun doesn't have the original barrel on it (or if you're not sure), you can call Remington and they can tell you based on your serial number. I've never come across any public list that correlates an 870's serial number to their manufacturing date, but if someone else here has, I'd love to know about it.
Last edited by Synchronizor on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rebshooter

Post by rebshooter » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:33 pm

Thanks for the info, mine is not steel but appears to be cast aluminum. The part that flips the shell up from the magazine is also metal. Someone must have done it before I got it, but I'm happy with it. Thanks again.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:36 pm

All 870s use a metal shell carrier, but newer ones (since the early 80's, I think) have a "U"-shaped cut-out to make it easier to clear a specific type of malfunction.