Cheek weld vs stock position.

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
LyonsLEO

Post by LyonsLEO » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:55 am

Gurus,

I'm in a bit of a quandary. I have a red dot sight which sits fairly high over the receiver on an 870 Express Tactical . This requires me to compromise a good cheek weld in order to acquire a target with the red dot. Otherwise, I need to raise the butt stock higher on my shoulder, which seems to compromise recoil control.

I don't know how Chris Costa does it, but he manages to keep a nice, low butt stock position on his pectoral muscle, while operating his Nighthawk with a red dot sight. All the while it looks like he's got a tight cheek weld.

Any thoughts?

BTW I experience the same challenge with the OEM stock as well as an ATI Scorpion (which I really like in spite of ATI's questionable reputation).

Thanks in advance for your insights on this matter.

LyonsLeo

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Cheek weld vs stock position.

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:50 am

I'm not a red-dot type of guy, but I can say that the personal fit of any firearm system is a complex thing, involving far more than just anthropometry. If your setup just outright isn't fitting you, the problem may not lie with technique.

You could try a lower mount for your optic, or there are plenty of options out there for adjustable-cheekpiece & Monte Carlo stocks, or even just stick-on cheekpads for your existing stock.

One of the next 870 builds I want to put together (funds permitting) with my gun is a fully-rifled slug setup with a cantilever-mounted scope. Since I prefer iron sights for just about everything else, I usually have a pretty low cheek weld too. The Cabela's in my state was cool enough to let me bring my gun in and throw on a Monte Carlo stock so I could see where my eyeline would be; and that seemed to place it in a much better position for naturally sighting through a scope.

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:02 am

Everyones face is different. You might have higher cheek bones or chris might have a fat cheek to aid him or his eyes are higher on his head etc.. First get the optic as low as possible. If its as low as its going to go or lowering it dosent solve the problem then try a different stock or take a rubber mouse pad, cut it to fit and duct tape it on...get creative.

LyonsLEO

Post by LyonsLEO » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:54 pm

After dispensing over 100 rounds this weekend, the sweet spot has been achieved. No mods needed. Just had to dope in the red dot and put the ATI Talon's cheek pad at its tallest setting. Although my cheek weld is now farther down my jaw than in the past, I can now consistently get fist sized slug groups at 50 yards, which is good enough for me.

I'm quite fond, by the way, of the ATI stock. Noticeably improved felt recoil and excellent ergonomics, allowing a short LOP. It seems more than adequately well built, if not a bit heavy.

Thanks again for your time.

Oban14
New Shotgunner

Post by Oban14 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:31 pm

Get the Magpul stock and one of their cheek risers.