Compatable parts?

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
eurolynn

Compatable parts?

Post by eurolynn » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:28 pm

I purchased an older Mossberg 500 a while back, only to find it was not compatible with newer Mossberg barrels.

According to the resolver on this site, my used Remington 870 (Express?)12GA, was produced in 1998. What are the limitations of what I can and cannot use on this 870? I don't want to waste money on buying noncollectable parts.
Here are my questions:
a. I am already eyeballing a Rifled Slug barrel a w/cantilever rail, should it fit & work?
b. Will I need new magazine springs?
c. And what do I need to know about magazine caps for the above mentioned barrel, since the magazine tube is the actual 'cap'?

Thanks!
"I strongly agree with my American 2nd Amendment rights. To show my gratitude, I always display my 2nd Amendment responsibility!"

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Compatable parts?

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:20 am

With the exception of barrels or other specialty parts from 870 variants like the MCS, Masterkey, or the HD model with the lengthened tube, pretty much any 870 barrel can be mounted to any 870 receiver of the same gauge, regardless of model year.

You can even use barrels and receivers designed for shell lengths that don't match, so long as you only use shells compatible with both. For example, you can use a barrel with a 3.5" chamber on a receiver designed for 2.75" & 3" shells, as long as you only use 3" or shorter shells.

For your specific questions:

A) If it's a standard 12ga barrel, it will fit on your 12ga Express receiver. You can use any 12ga ammo compatible with both the barrel and receiver.

B) You will only need a new magazine spring if you are changing your magazine setup. Otherwise that slug barrel will attach in exactly the same fashion as your current barrel or barrels, and your magazine's functioning will not be affected.

C) Again, changing barrels does not affect your magazine in any way, unless you also want to change that. If you have an extension on it now, and are looking at reducing the capacity for hunting, I would suggest the Uncle Mike's magazine cap (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002I ... hs_product), it's what I use on my 870's hunting builds, and I have absolutely nothing but good things to say about it. If you're not using a magazine plug, you'll also need a standard-length magazine spring to allow space for the full four shells. You can order from Remington, or check the gun stores in your area.