Express, tactical or police?

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
USCGChris

Express, tactical or police?

Post by USCGChris » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:41 am

That is what I am trying to decide. Price wise the express or tactical are the most affordable. But the police model wouldn't really require any major changes just some add ons.
Which ever one I decide on will be set up for HD. It will have a light of some type mounted, mesa tac shell carrier, useable sights and a sling. What are your guys thoughts?
Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
Life is a hella of a thing to happen to a person...

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Express, tactical or police?

Post by Chief Brody » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:52 pm

This past summer, I was trying to make the same decision. I wound up with an 870 Police for a few reasons. I wanted wood furniture (it's available with synthetic, too), the metal trigger guard, and the upgraded internals. The Police guns are built to a higher standard, and you do pay for it, but I'm very happy with my choice.
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.

vmax
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by vmax » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:05 am

Buy a good old Wingmaster and add your TAC stuff. You will have the best internals for a 870. Best buys ever.
Don't buy it if you can't sell it.

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:15 pm

Id go back in time and buy a police if i could. Express.... out of the box its good if your shooting birds and dont mind missing some due to malfunctions. Unless they are attack birds.. then deffinatly not the Express.

Carlo1137
Valued Shotgunner

Post by Carlo1137 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:47 pm

There is no difference between an Express and and 870P except for 3 tiny parts and the finish and furniture. That's it. That was Remington marketing and words stamped on the receiver.

These are the ONLY internal parts that are different between the Express and the Police:
1. The trigger housing on the Police is pressed metal, that on the Express is polymer - advantage Express, as the polymer trigger housing is known to be more durable (ask any Remington armorer).

2. The extractor on the Police is forged, the Express is MIM. Upgrade the extractor: http://tinyurl.com/aaez6af Cost $14.99 (I always replace the extractor, but have never seen a MIM extractor break on an Express).

3. The Police has a stronger carrier dog follower spring than the Express. This is also an easily upgrade: http://tinyurl.com/b7yj2cv It is listed as a carrier latch spring for the 1100 and 11-87, but this is the correct spring used in the Police. Cost $4.84 The interesting thing is that Remington charges the same for either spring (the P is black, and that is the only way to tell them apart). So why not use the same spring in both guns? Marketing.

4. The Police uses a stronger magazine spring on the 6+1 versions (I believe that both 4+1 versions now use the same spring). Purchase a new spring from Wolff: http://www.gunsprings.com/Rifles%20%26% ... dID216#606 Cost $8.99

5. Sear spring - As of several years ago both versions now use the identical spring (the one from the Express).

Those are the only differences that matter between the Express and the Police; the rest is simply marketing. Most of the custom 870 builders, such as Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, and AI&P Tactical use the 870 Express platform because it is basically the same gun at a lower cost".

Hope this helps! :D
BETTER TO BE JUDGED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:40 am

Carlo1137 wrote:There is no difference between an Express and and 870P except for 3 tiny parts and the finish and furniture. That's it. That was Remington marketing and words stamped on the receiver.

These are the ONLY internal parts that are different between the Express and the Police:
1. The trigger housing on the Police is pressed metal, that on the Express is polymer - advantage Express, as the polymer trigger housing is known to be more durable (ask any Remington armorer).

2. The extractor on the Police is forged, the Express is MIM. Upgrade the extractor: http://tinyurl.com/aaez6af Cost $14.99 (I always replace the extractor, but have never seen a MIM extractor break on an Express).

3. The Police has a stronger carrier dog follower spring than the Express. This is also an easily upgrade: http://tinyurl.com/b7yj2cv It is listed as a carrier latch spring for the 1100 and 11-87, but this is the correct spring used in the Police. Cost $4.84 The interesting thing is that Remington charges the same for either spring (the P is black, and that is the only way to tell them apart). So why not use the same spring in both guns? Marketing.

4. The Police uses a stronger magazine spring on the 6+1 versions (I believe that both 4+1 versions now use the same spring). Purchase a new spring from Wolff: http://www.gunsprings.com/Rifles%20%26% ... dID216#606 Cost $8.99

5. Sear spring - As of several years ago both versions now use the identical spring (the one from the Express).

Those are the only differences that matter between the Express and the Police; the rest is simply marketing. Most of the custom 870 builders, such as Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, and AI&P Tactical use the 870 Express platform because it is basically the same gun at a lower cost".

All good info, well done.

I would recommend ordering these parts directly from Remington though, not a 3rd party seller. You'll get better prices, and be sure you're getting the right part (I've heard some not-so-encouraging stories when it comes to getting the right extractors from some websites). If you need part numbers I can look them up for you, but their phone operators should be able to figure out what you're looking for.

Remington's number is 1-800-243-9700, and they're open M-F from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm EST. I think that's the same time zone as most of Michigan.

vmax
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by vmax » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:41 am

+1 for Carlo1137.
Don't buy it if you can't sell it.

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:36 pm

I would go with an older Wingmaster or a Police. Personally I don't like the belt sander finish that is on the Express.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:29 pm

Carlo1137 wrote:There is no difference between an Express and and 870P except for 3 tiny parts and the finish and furniture. That's it. That was Remington marketing and words stamped on the receiver.

2. The extractor on the Police is forged, the Express is MIM. Upgrade the extractor: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1074 ... /EXTRACTOR Cost $14.99 (I always replace the extractor, but have never seen a MIM extractor break on an Express).

3. The Police has a stronger carrier dog follower spring than the Express. This is also an easily upgrade: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1076 ... H-SPRINGIt is listed as a carrier latch spring for the 1100 and 11-87, but this is the correct spring used in the Police. Cost $4.84 The interesting thing is that Remington charges the same for either spring (the P is black, and that is the only way to tell them apart). So why not use the same spring in both guns? Marketing.

Ive done all the parts upgrades but you can still be a blind guy and feel that its an Express. There is a difference. the matte finnish is horrific in wet conditions, and the fitting of parts is poor. the guns just not smooth even after all the many rounds ive put through it. Its smoother, but it will always be an Express. If your like me and have very few guns you expect to work every time, then spending a few extra bucks is the way to go.

Carlo1137
Valued Shotgunner

Post by Carlo1137 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:01 am

Kentactic wrote:

2. The extractor on the Police is forged, the Express is MIM. Upgrade the extractor: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1074 ... /EXTRACTOR Cost $14.99 (I always replace the extractor, but have never seen a MIM extractor break on an Express).

3. The Police has a stronger carrier dog follower spring than the Express. This is also an easily upgrade: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1076 ... H-SPRINGIt is listed as a carrier latch spring for the 1100 and 11-87, but this is the correct spring used in the Police. Cost $4.84 The interesting thing is that Remington charges the same for either spring (the P is black, and that is the only way to tell them apart). So why not use the same spring in both guns? Marketing.

Ive done all the parts upgrades but you can still be a blind guy and feel that its an Express. There is a difference. the matte finnish is horrific in wet conditions, and the fitting of parts is poor. the guns just not smooth even after all the many rounds ive put through it. Its smoother, but it will always be an Express. If your like me and have very few guns you expect to work every time, then spending a few extra bucks is the way to go.
I guess the buyer will have to decide for him self, but I have had an express tactical side by side with the 870 police and I did not notice any difference in smoothness in racking the slides. The tactical express I own now is smooth as glass. Given its only for HD, it works good for me, I do take it out to shoot, but I always clean it after I'm done shooting. You are right about the finish being crappy, but if its for HD its fine and I don't see what you mean about reliability issue. Has your 870 failed you? if so, can you please tell me how it failed with proper care and maintenance? If the buyer decides that he is also going to duck hunt, deer hunt or hunt some kind of game animal with his 870, then buy a 870 wing master since the blueing finish would work better. Just my 2 cents, take it with a grain of salt.
BETTER TO BE JUDGED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6