Question from a new shotgunner

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
bigb201

Question from a new shotgunner

Post by bigb201 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:15 pm

Hello all,

I am a new shotgunner from Maryland. I had the chance to go duck hunting a few weeks ago and was hooked. Needless to say, I ran out and bought an 870 express synthetic with a 26" barrel and modified choke.

Took the gun to pattern it with cheap federal target loads and the gun would fail to extract. they were 2 3/4" low brass. Went hunting and shot federal steel shot 3" shells, perfect no extraction problems.

Started researching about the problem. Called remington and they are more than happy to fix, but I do not want to be out of my gun for this season. Impatient, I know.

took the gun home and cleaned really well. went out and shot winchester target shells. jammed every 4th or so. also shot estate target loads with no problem.

after that I ordered and replaced the MIM extractor and polished the barrel for two minutes with 000 steel wool on a brass bore brush. After this the gun acted much better. It now only fails to extract about every 10-15th shell.

I have noticed that just outside the chamber there are distinct grooves. Is this something that could be catching the shells as well?

Sorry for the long read, but I'm frustrated as my buddy bought one the same night and he has no problems and this is also my first gun.

Thanks
Brian

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Question from a new shotgunner

Post by Chief Brody » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:46 pm

First off, those inexpensive Winchester shells give EVERYBODY trouble. So, you're definitely not alone there. I polished the chamber on my 870 Police a couple of weeks ago, now it's a mirror finish in there - just haven't had a chance to shoot since then, unfortunately. I'm curious about the grooves you mention. After a good polishing, you really shouldn't see much. The other solution is just shooting the gun a lot. After a few hundred or a thousand rounds through it, it should be buttery smooth and it'll eject every time. Good luck!
Steve
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.