Stock removal Issues...

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Stock removal Issues...

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:34 pm

Kentactic wrote:Im not 100% on the legaility but id say just cut a longer plug out of a wooden dowel for when you go hunting.
This will work, no legal issues I'm aware of (in the U.S. at least). Still, for a little money and the time, it's nice not to have to lug around a gun with a mag extension if you're never going to have more than two rounds in there.

vmax
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by vmax » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:17 am

Synchronizor wrote:
dk.easterly wrote:Question: When I drill out the dimples to install/use the mag extension, what will happen when I take it hunting and remove the extension? I know that it won't ratchet anymore. Will it simply just come loose with shooting?
Tighten the cap down firmly, and you should be fine. When I run without an extension, that's all I do, and I don't have any issues with barrels that don't have the locking detent on the mounting ring.

If it does come loose, you can always put a wave-type lockwasher under the magazine cap to make it more secure.

I would also recommend putting your old magazine follower over the front end of the spring in lieu of the old retainer, so it will stay straight in the tube and not catch or twist on the inside of the cap when you install or remove it.
Great advise for the OP Synchronizor. Under normal hunting conditions they stay tight thats right. Just be cautious of the mag spring when removing the mag cap.
Don't buy it if you can't sell it.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:38 am

vmax wrote:Just be cautious of the mag spring when removing the mag cap.
You mean to avoid launching the cap off to the same place the dryer sends socks; never to be seen again? Definitely.

Heck, I've even managed to do that with a whole extension tube (I did find it eventually, though).

vmax
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by vmax » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:35 am

The drywall ceiling in my gun room has found many end caps, spring, and other stuff. Many dints and scrapes in the paint. HAHA.
Don't buy it if you can't sell it.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:41 am

Been there. The best stories are when I'm fiddling with the shotgun but paying more attention to whatever I have playing on my computer screen, and try to take it down forgetting it's still fully loaded with snap caps or length-gauge shells. Boy, do I get reminded...

Randomguns
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by Randomguns » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:04 pm

The wave-type washer is a good idea. I use a rubber o-ring, either a #-021 (15/16"I.D.X1"O.D.) or if you have an 1100 to keep your 870 company just use the gas ring out of it. The hardware store version (#-021) is much cheaper for some reason.
This Space For Rent

Turkey010
New Shotgunner

Post by Turkey010 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:08 pm

AS far as a plug goes anything that keeps the gun from taking more than 2 shells in the mag when hunting is legal.

When I had my atacs I used a toy arrow from a joke gift and left the suction cup on it to keep it from rattling inside worked great.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:31 pm

Turkey010 wrote:AS far as a plug goes anything that keeps the gun from taking more than 2 shells in the mag when hunting is legal.

When I had my atacs I used a toy arrow from a joke gift and left the suction cup on it to keep it from rattling inside worked great.
When I first saw my dad take apart the magazine on his old Ithaca, I was bewildered to see that the plug was an old stick, bark and everything. I asked if he had put that there, but apparently it was in the shotgun when his dad gave it to him. I know grandpa himself had picked it up second-hand, so for all I know, that stick might date back to the 1930's.

If you want to do something a little more professional than simply breaking a stick to length, find a 1/2-inch diameter rod at least 5.5-6 inches long (a suitable plastic or composite would be the preferred material), cut it to the desired length, and use a file to round the ends slightly so they won't snag on the coils of the spring.