Stock removal Issues...

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
dk.easterly
New Shotgunner

Stock removal Issues...

Post by dk.easterly » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:11 am

Hello Rem870 forum. First post here!

Right to the point:

Rem 870 Express Magnum 12ga. w/Wood Stock

Trying to remove the butt-stock to replace with a synthetic stock for hunting. I know that it is usually a fairly straight forward and simple task. However, I cannot get the retaining bolt to come loose! It seems to be completely stuck...

Little history on the shotgun; I bought it "used" at a gun show. Now, the only reason it was sold as used is because it had already been transferred to one other person. It has otherwise been untouched and in the box since 2007 when it was manufactured. My guess is that whatever type of oil/grease was used to store it has since gummed up and become hard.

Any ideas on how to get the bolt out without completely destroying the head? I have been spraying penetrating oil on it for the past few hours.

Thanks,

dk

EDIT: The choke tube seems to be stuck as well... :roll:

Vitaly
Owner

Re: Stock removal Issues...

Post by Vitaly » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:38 am

dk,

Actually, this often happens to shotguns which were not in use for a long time, especially to Remington 870s with wood stocks and forends. By the way, have you tried unscrewing the forend nut? I think you may have exactly same problem.

I think it may help spraying the bolt from both sides (the part inside receiver and inside the stock) and leaving it for some time. Then you need to fix receiver in a vise or ask somebody to hold it while you try to unscrew the bolt with both hands (it may require lots of efforts).

As for the choke, you may try to spray it with oil too. If this won't help you may try Brownells Stuck Choke Removal Tool: http://tinyurl.com/bl5j53d

Please let us know how you solve this problem.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

dk.easterly
New Shotgunner

Post by dk.easterly » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:35 pm

The forend was actually fairly easy to take down.

I guess if penetrating oil doesn't work, I'll try some heat. That usually works in tough spots.

EDIT: I put a mini torch to the threads and used a really big screwdriver. It was all gummed up inside.

dk.easterly
New Shotgunner

Post by dk.easterly » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:40 pm

Ran across a choke tube tool today for $6.95

I found it at another place selling for $29.95...so I'm happy with that. It took a little elbow grease, but eventually the choke came out. Cleaned it, lubed it, and put it back in.

Also picked up a Remington Mag Ext Kit (+3) and a GG&G aluminum follower.

Question: When I drill out the dimples to install/use the mag extension, what will happen when I take it hunting and remove the extension? I know that it won't ratchet anymore. Will it simply just come loose with shooting?

fleetsider

Post by fleetsider » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:27 am

Is that tool for removing the indentations on the mag tube to install 2 shot extension?

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:09 am

fleetsider wrote:Is that tool for removing the indentations on the mag tube to install 2 shot extension?
No, I think it is to remove stuck choke tubes.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

fleetsider

Post by fleetsider » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:25 pm

Thanks......

dk.easterly
New Shotgunner

Post by dk.easterly » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:51 am

fleetsider wrote:Is that tool for removing the indentations on the mag tube to install 2 shot extension?
Yeah, it's just a choke removal/install tool.

Pretty sure they had it marked wrong, the next place I went had them marked for $29.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:46 am

dk.easterly wrote:Question: When I drill out the dimples to install/use the mag extension, what will happen when I take it hunting and remove the extension? I know that it won't ratchet anymore. Will it simply just come loose with shooting?
Tighten the cap down firmly, and you should be fine. When I run without an extension, that's all I do, and I don't have any issues with barrels that don't have the locking detent on the mounting ring.

If it does come loose, you can always put a wave-type lockwasher under the magazine cap to make it more secure.

I would also recommend putting your old magazine follower over the front end of the spring in lieu of the old retainer, so it will stay straight in the tube and not catch or twist on the inside of the cap when you install or remove it.

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:08 pm

Im not 100% on the legaility but id say just cut a longer plug out of a wooden dowel for when you go hunting.