Failure to eject when the ports facing up (video)

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
jpfrog
Experienced Shotgunner

Re: Failure to eject when the ports facing up (video)

Post by jpfrog » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:48 pm

I'm interested to see if the new extractor fixes the issue- it sounds like the tension on your current extractor may be too strong, causing it to hold onto the round too tightly and not let the ejector do its job. Too loose, and it won't grab the shell, too tight, and this can happen...you need to find one in the middle. :)

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:18 am

Ya mine is way on the loose side. when extracting the round theres a good size gap between the back of the shell and the bolt face. Its possible the shell falls free once it hits the gradual ramp leading to the part on the ejector that kicks it out. Ill update after i install and test the new extractor.

Also i finally solved the jamming with cheap ammo issue. It wasnt the chamber, it was the part with the notch for the lug. The machining markings were catching the rim of the case right near the chamber. I ground and polished the area and the problems gone. 100 rounds of cheap stuff and zero issues extracting.

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:12 pm

Ok guys the New non-MIM extractor did the trick, the gun ejects rounds in all positions flawlessly. You can visually see the MIM extractor had a lot more wiggle and play. The new Extractor is solid and has little side to side play.

I think i might actually have created a reliable shotgun here guys!!... woohoo!

Thanks again for the Extractor recommendation RichNZ

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:18 pm

Heres a list of modifications to bring my 870 Express to its current reliable state.

-New mag follower

-Non-MIM Extractor

-1100 lift gate spring (didnt have issues but i upgraded anyways)

-Ground and polished locking lug area on barrel

All other upgrades werent required for reliable function of the gun. Next i will be getting a steel trigger assembly just to toughen the gun up some more.

smokinbunta

Post by smokinbunta » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:01 am

Wow am I glad I found this forum! I have been having problems with my H&R Pardner Pump(870 clone) I have heard the barrels not the same, but I am having FTE issues that are pretty much the same as whats described here. Tho to clarify this, I have about 150rds through the gun, and the first 100 or so had maybe 5 FTE but the second time I shot it, about 50% of the rounds failed to eject. Where the spent casing would come back but not get "flinged" out of the ejection port but in some cases, it had problems pulling the casing out of the chamber(but i think these were more operator error, as I have the new Magpul stock on and at the shortest setting and maybe its throwing me off?)

I have since "smoothed out" the ejection port edges, as it looked to me that the rough edges were part of the problem. But issue still remains where the shell just doesn't "fling out" of the port rather just shoots straight back with the bolt.

I'll probably just go ahead and order that "non-mim" extractor and see where things go.

Thanks again for being here ;)