Opinions on buying 870 Police vs Express?

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
000Robert
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Re: Opinions on buying 870 Police vs Express?

Post by 000Robert » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:32 pm

For some reason I'm having trouble keeping rust off my late cheaper Remington stuff. I had a 11-87 start rusting before the end of the day of a wet day hunting. If I do another Remington with "Express finish" I'm going to do something before use.
PS both potential shotguns were sold before I had a chance to buy but the search continues. At this point for my use the two contenders are the 870 Express Trap, Deer and Turkey models. The Montecarlo stock is a need. I know all parts are available on the net.
[/quote]

Hi Rich. I would try disassembling your shotgun and cleaning everything good. Then heavily coat all of the steel parts and barrel with Break Free CLP oil for 24 hours. Wipe off the excess oil and reassemble your shotgun.

JOG
Shotgunner

Post by JOG » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:30 pm

I'm also in the market for a new 870.I would pony up and get the police model.
It has better internal part's. I like walnut much better than birch. And the old fashioned
corn cob pump fore end are cool. I'm waiting on a call from local gun shop on a price.
I never saw one in stock with the walnut, a few polymer model's. 4 +1 is enough shell's is fine.
If I need more I'll go with Wilson combat +1. I really like older model, so I'm giving
Remington a shot. I hear the new one's are good quality!
I heard that the Parkerizing is a step above on police model's.
Good luck whatever you choose!

Romulus
Valued Shotgunner

Post by Romulus » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:19 pm

I have a 30 yr old Express and a 20 yr old police model. The Police came NIB polished blue and with birch stock. Also more problems, the ejector spring popped off the rivet after the first box of shells (imagine if a law officer was using this piece in the line of duty). Much of the "rust" reference online on Express models is simply red smut from the bluing process, and eventually stops being sweated out. The QA/QC "issues" on the Express are a myth, they hold to the quality plan (this is obviously bare bones but ensures a working shotgun, which is all the Express model is.). I have more concern about the issues encountered on my police model, a professional duty piece allegedly.

Rom