Low-brass hulls sticking in the chamber on 870 Express.

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
rdsmith3
Shotgunner

Re: Low-brass hulls sticking in the chamber on 870 Express.

Post by rdsmith3 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:03 pm

I replaced my extractor with a non-MIM one from Brownells. Unfortunately, it sticks -- it is thicker than the one that came with my 870 Express -- so it functioned worse than before. It did not pivot freely. It is hard to tell from this photo.

Hntbambi
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Hntbambi » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:51 am

You need to fit it. Many gun parts are not drop in. A little stoning will have it working like a dream.

rdsmith3
Shotgunner

Post by rdsmith3 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:34 am

Hntbambi wrote:You need to fit it. Many gun parts are not drop in. A little stoning will have it working like a dream.

I don't have a grinder. I expect that a part made for a specific model of firearm should fit properly, especially when I am replacing an OEM part that many people think is not right out of the box. That little piece of metal cost $15, so I don't think I am being unreasonable to expect it to fit!

PRegner
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by PRegner » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:15 pm

rdsmith3 wrote:
Hntbambi wrote:You need to fit it. Many gun parts are not drop in. A little stoning will have it working like a dream.

I don't have a grinder. I expect that a part made for a specific model of firearm should fit properly, especially when I am replacing an OEM part that many people think is not right out of the box. That little piece of metal cost $15, so I don't think I am being unreasonable to expect it to fit!
Not having a grinder in this case is a good thing! Use a stone or some fine jeweler's files. If you don't have any of those things, go to the nearest dollar store and buy an assortment of fine emery boards (fingernail files), and use those.

Having to hand-fit small parts is not at all un-common in the firearm world. All you need to do is use a Sharpie (or some machinist's blue) and coat the extractor. Then insert the part into the bolt and move it through it's range of motion. Then remove the part and observe any areas where the Sharpie has been worn off through excessive contact and either stone or lightly file the area until smooth operation is achieved. Remember to be patient, and go just a little bit at a time; you can always remove a little more material, but once it's removed it's a bugger to put back on. It took me less than five minutes to fit my non-MIM extractor on my 870. Trust me, it's well worth the effort.
Blaming a death on a firearm is like blaming a mis-spelled word on a pencil.

Hntbambi
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Hntbambi » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:26 pm

rdsmith3 wrote:I don't have a grinder. I expect that a part made for a specific model of firearm should fit properly, especially when I am replacing an OEM part that many people think is not right out of the box. That little piece of metal cost $15, so I don't think I am being unreasonable to expect it to fit!
The "drop in" parts typically don't work that well. I have worked on many types, makes, and models of handguns rifles and shotguns, and I can vouch that most parts need hand fitting. Kind of hard to make a part that will fit perfectly on all 870 guns that were made from 1950-2012. Ain't gonna happen. That little $15 part would cost upwards of $50 or more if it's tolerances were that tight.

Like PRegner mentioned, you shouldn't use a grinder or a Dremel for most part fitting. Stones, small files, sandpaper, and laping compound are your safest and best choices to fit parts.

VADavid
New Shotgunner

Post by VADavid » Wed May 16, 2012 1:30 pm

(New member, just found this thread.)

I picked up a new 870 Express Synthetic last week. I've put about 100 rounds through of various brands and loads. I'm getting maybe 1 in 3 that won't eject. I've had to use a dowel to get some out. We're shooting the same ammo through another 870 at the same time with no issues. I found this thread and read the suggestion to replace the extractor.

It is unreasonable to expect the gun to work without requiring user mods right out of the box? Should I take this gun back to the dealer and get a fix/replacement/refund?

I've been shooting a friend's 870 and was anxiously looking forward to this purchase. Now, not so much. :-)

PRegner
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by PRegner » Sat May 19, 2012 1:53 am

VADavid wrote:I picked up a new 870 Express Synthetic last week. I've put about 100 rounds through of various brands and loads. I'm getting maybe 1 in 3 that won't eject. I've had to use a dowel to get some out. We're shooting the same ammo through another 870 at the same time with no issues. I found this thread and read the suggestion to replace the extractor.

It is unreasonable to expect the gun to work without requiring user mods right out of the box? Should I take this gun back to the dealer and get a fix/replacement/refund?

I've been shooting a friend's 870 and was anxiously looking forward to this purchase. Now, not so much. :-)
Was the other 870 an Express, or a Wingmaster?

While it's not unreasonable to expect your shotgun to function correctly right out of the box, unfortunately it's not to uncommon to see issues like this on entry-level models. I wasn't too happy about having to fiddle with mine either.

The bottom line is this: once you've got your 870 tuned-up, any regrets that you are experiencing now will rapidly fade. You will find that the Remington 870 (even the Express models) will only improve with heavy use. The more the action is cycled, the smoother it will get, and the better it will function. Don't give-up on your 870 just yet. :)

(If you think the issue you're experiencing is frustrating, you should see the problems my buddy is having trying to get his brand-new Mossberg 500 to run right. It keeps spitting out un-fired rounds from the magazine tube every second or third time it's cycled)
Blaming a death on a firearm is like blaming a mis-spelled word on a pencil.