Police?????

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
dennisoates

Police?????

Post by dennisoates » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:16 am

I just bought a 12 Remington 870 barrel , that was advertised as a Wingmaster Police , when it arrived it appeared to be an exprss barrel. There is no marking saying police, its a 2 3/4 only 18 1/2 inch with a bead site. I could not tell by the pic is was not blue in color when it arrived. Did Remington make a wingmaster police in black matte? or did i get screwed? thanks

jpfrog
Experienced Shotgunner

Re: Police?????

Post by jpfrog » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:16 am

The police version has always had a "less dressy" appearance than the Wingmaster, which has always been a highly polished blue finish with a checkered glossy walnut stock and forend. The police has typically been a dull finish with plain wood, as anything "dressy" would surely be ruined after the typical use from duty. I can't say whether or not matte black was standards, but it sounds about right. Not sure if it's parkerized or what, but it's definitely not supposed to be glossy.

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Chief Brody » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:17 am

I own an 870 Police Magnum - There aren't any special markings on the barrel identifying it as a Police model. Same length as yours, same bead sight. 2 3/4" or 3" shells, Improved cylinder. Parkerized.

Maybe yours is an older barrel?
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.

bbull311
Shotgunner

Post by bbull311 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:47 pm

If it is a police barrel it will have a detent on it.
"I have learned that there are troubles of more than one kind, some come from ahead and some come from behind, but I've brought a big bat, I am all ready you see, now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"
-Dr. Seuss

dennisoates

Post by dennisoates » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:01 am

thanks for the tips
no indent , Im selling it on ebay

bbull311
Shotgunner

Post by bbull311 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:36 am

Most police departments use a mixture of standard 870s, wingmasters, with a mixture of police magnums thrown in. The barrel may have come off a police shotgun but is probably just a standard barrel. Like I said in my prior post, the only real difference in the police barrel is the detent. The detents purpose is to make sure the magazine cap doesn't come off at a most inopportune moment.
"I have learned that there are troubles of more than one kind, some come from ahead and some come from behind, but I've brought a big bat, I am all ready you see, now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"
-Dr. Seuss

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:54 am

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to mention that Police 870s aren't the only ones with the ball detent. Some of my Express barrels have them installed as well.

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:55 pm

My junk Express with a 18.5" has a detent aswell.