870 barrel fitment

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
ShotgunSam870
Enthusiast Shotgunner

870 barrel fitment

Post by ShotgunSam870 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:53 pm

Is it normal for 870 barrels to fit better than other OEM barrels? 2 barrels I have say yes.
The original barrel that came with my 870 doesn’t fit as tight as my other barrel does, both are OEM.
I understand the 870 is a high tolerance weapon, but I’m not sure how much side by side barrel play is too much, in fear of ripping off the ejector and shooter safety.
For the original barrel to get it completely tight, I have to really tighten the mag cap more than I feel I should have to. My other barrel fits just fine and has no play in it whatsoever.
“Civil Wars happen when the victimized are armed. Genocide happens when they are not.”
― A.E. Samaan

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Re: 870 barrel fitment

Post by Scorpion8 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:35 pm

All 3 of my 870 barrels fit just fine, with nominal play before the magazine cap is put on and tightened. I have noticed a small difference in some of the barrel magazine-tube bands being slightly different sizes, I think it depends on whether the band has the ball-detent retaining system or uses the magazine tube-plunger ratchet retaining system. That makes a difference on how far the magazine tube cap retainer will tighten.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!