What model to buy?

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
sn_scout

What model to buy?

Post by sn_scout » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:55 pm

I am looking to buy an 870 soon but am confused about what model to buy. My primary use will be home defense and hunting. I like the tactical model but want to be able to replace barrels, so that one is out. I would like iron sights if possible, and to be able to replace barrels and to be able to mount a scope. I would like as high a capacity as possible, and for it to have the most weather resistant finish as I can. In general, I want a rugged outdoor hunting and camp defense gun that can be used in the bush, like some guides use. Any suggestions? price is not a concern.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Re: What model to buy?

Post by Scorpion8 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:34 pm

Honestly I'd go with the 870 Express Combo, so you get the rifle-sighted slug barrel and a field n' fowl barrel. The Express finish is as durable as it comes. Or look at the Model 870 Express Synthetic Field & Home Combo. The slug barrel has a bead sight, not rifle sights though.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

sn_scout

Post by sn_scout » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:08 am

How would you say that compares to the police model? I'm seeing an average price for the police model at around $700, so I'm wondering if the extra cost means extra quality?

sn_scout

Post by sn_scout » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:13 am

Hey Scorpio. I noticed you are in AK. Is it true guides there favor the good 'ol 12 guage 870 as much as the 45-70 guide rifle? also, would you care to weigh in on the 10mm versus .44 mag sidearm debate for bears? I'm always interested in what the AK locals have to say.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:38 pm

sn_scout wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:13 am
Hey Scorpio. I noticed you are in AK. Is it true guides there favor the good 'ol 12 guage 870 as much as the 45-70 guide rifle? also, would you care to weigh in on the 10mm versus .44 mag sidearm debate for bears? I'm always interested in what the AK locals have to say.
Every guide that I know have their own preferences based on what they believe in and have confidence in. The USFS makes their field techs carry and qualify with .45-70's, but allow them to also carry 12 GA shotguns also. Most folks consider the .44 Mag to be the minimum in bear country, but we also see a lot of .41 Mags. The auto-vs-SA/DA revolver is an argument with no end-it-all facts. I personally know of no one who carries a 10mm, but the .454 is popular and Ruger Redhawks abound.

In the end, like with every tale of these sorts, shot placement wins over some magical caliber every time. If you carry it, practice with it often. You never realize how fast an extremely large bear can moved when angered, and if you're charged, more than 1 shot is probably not going to be available, so it had better count. I personally have never been charged, but I encounter a lot of large black bears in these woods.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:42 pm

sn_scout wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:08 am
How would you say that compares to the police model? I'm seeing an average price for the police model at around $700, so I'm wondering if the extra cost means extra quality?
I'm not6 sure what whizbangs and kerfdoodles they add to the police model, but the police slug barrel is slightly different than a deer hunting slug barrel. I'd bet they charge more for the police model because more tactikool idiots think that's the model they have to have to be a self-styled "operator", so Remington just allows them to hand over more money for essentially the same thing. Do you need the breeching barrel, in your own home?
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life

Chilly
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Chilly » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:55 pm

Seems to me you might be describing Marine Magnum. Not sure what barrel options are available from Remington, but since price isnt a concern you can add barrels that suit your purposes. For optics the rifled cantilever barrels are the best. If not available in stainless then have it ceracoated. Or open chamber just a whisker and have it hard chromed. May need to remove and reinstall mounting ring, not sure the silver solder will survive the chroming stages. A gunsmith should know that answer.