Progress report and question

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
J-wall
New Shotgunner

Progress report and question

Post by J-wall » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:43 am

Wanted to say that I love my new 870 Express!

The only part I am still waiting on is my machined extractor.

I have put about 100 rounds though it so far. They include 7.5 birdshot from Federal and Estate, 00 & 000 buck from Federal, 5 Federal Truball slugs (1oz), 2 Brennecke slugs from a buddy and 2 door breaching rounds from the same guy. Oh, and two #4 Turkey loads from Kent. It has been lots of fun!

My question is in relation to the inside of my barrel, 26" vent rib. After my last outing of about 40 rounds that included the slugs, door breachers, turkey shells, 000 buck, and the Estate and Federal birdshot (both new, first outing was old birdshot, ~20yrs), I have noticed some spots inside my barrel. By spots, i mean some small dots that look like deposits of some kind.

I have swabbed with Hoppe's bore cleaner, CLP, and a bit of a bore brush. I am a newbie so I have no idea if this is something to worry about or now. It appears to be a little less than halfway down the barrel from the chamber end. With the number of people I have spoken with locally that never or rarely clean their guns, i am not sure this matters. Have I just not cleaned it enough yet? How much is enough? There has been WAY more grey/lead after the slugs.

Thanks for the guidance and I will try to add some pics of my plain-jane synthetic beauty.

J-wall
New Shotgunner

Re: Progress report and question

Post by J-wall » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:51 pm

After the post above, I decided to run some steel wool on a .410 bore brush all the way down the barrell. That got it! I put the muzzle over a white trash can and I was surprised at all the black dust that came out. Maybe I had not gotten all the factory grease out? Maybe it was rust? No idea.

I have shot 76 rounds of birdshot through it since the above post and cleaned again. I have not experienced the same problems, but I did clean for longer, used the brass brussh with Hoppes several times first, then swabs with Hoppes, then dry swabs, then clp on swabs, then dry swabs again. She looks purdy!

My only issues have been my fault with operation, and those have been few. She cycles great. My magazine cap did back off, a bit, but the nut on my sling stud is deep (Uncle Mike's) and even though I had drilled the slot in my spring retainer out a bit, the hole was not perfectly round, so I think it was still catching. The mag cap backed off till the plastic caught the notches in the cap. Not far, but enough for the barrel to wiggle and still fire. I have evened the hole up and I have been able to get it tighter with clicking of the retainer all the way. In case this does not work, I have the Wilson Combat wave washer en route.

I also have a Carlson's flush mount skeet choke on the way. Maybe I will not do so poorly next time i shoot clays. Lol! Blame the equipment! :lol:

Goodgun
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Goodgun » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:05 pm

That's completely normal Bro..some shells are more dirty than others. I shoot all different types of shells. Just like you (I like Remington 000 and 0 buck)! That flash and all the shit is hard to scrub out sometimes. I brush with a power drill sometimes. I got a 96' Magnum. I LOVE that gun with all my hurt. It's my favorite out of all of em' . Your barrel is fine Bro! Keep up the shooting..I know I will!! 870's RULE..

J-wall
New Shotgunner

Post by J-wall » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:13 pm

Thanks for the reply my man. Yeah, I figured out things were okay, and I have been able to get the junk out consistently now. My inexperience was all it was.

I agree, I love my gun! I wish I could shoot it everyday! I am planning on an OD Hogue set up next.