New member with 2 new to me 870s

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
3ky
New Shotgunner

New member with 2 new to me 870s

Post by 3ky » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi all. I been wanting a 870 Wingmaster since I was a kid. Recently I after trading off my Winchester 1300 12 guage and Sears 16 guage I found myself shotgunless so I had to fix that problem!

I went to a gunshop my with a friend who does gunsmith for them and got to see the back room. In the back room was several boxes of old police trade ins. Some needed work. My friend took one home as payment for gun work and I had to have one so I came back and traded the owner a bayonet for one since the owner collected bayonets. The one I got was an older Wingmaster 2 3/4 with corncob handguard and matching buttstock. Both are plain walnut. Barrel is 2 3/4 18in cylinder bore with bead sight. Rack number is marked in the buttstock. It had a new ejector installed at one time since the bluing is messed up on the receiver but doesnt matter to me as long as it works. Looks like it went to war but action is smooth as butter. I'd say this is a 60 or early 70s police shotgun. Has Wingmaster on the receiver.

We took is and a few other guns to my friends salvage yard to try it out. We shot a car hood to see what the pattern looked like then did rapid fire drills to see how it funtioned. It did great!! Put over 100 rounds through it shooting out car glass and mowing brush down. It came with original Remington recoil pad but still gave me a nice bruise on my shoulder.. All and all a great truck and house gun that I have 35 bucks in.

I wanted one that shot 3in shells and he had two that were parked finnish both had broken ejectors. My friend got one and fixed it and owner kept the other. My friend knew I like to have one that shot 3in shells and one walked through his door last week. He called saying he got one if I wanted it. I went to his house Sunday and low and behold he had a like new 870 Wingmaster Magnum with matching 28in mod fixed choke barrel! I traded a pistol I had 200 in and ran home! This 870 is probably from the 70's and is like new. It has the high polish blue and the fancy walnut wood. Barrel looks original. Its not vent rib. I think I'll hang this one on the wall and not shoot it because it just hasnt been shot alot. My friend was going to cut the barrel if I didnt take it and make a defense shotgun out of it. I'll leave it alone and shoot my other one.

Now I gotta go back and look for barrels. He had a nice vent rib barrel in his junk I night want. It is a Wingmaster barrel. Have to see what shell it takes to see what shotgun it'll fit.

I'll post pictures this weekend. Love to have any tips since I'm a 870 owner and also what to look for on these!

Thanks,
Michael

Vitaly
Owner

Re: New member with 2 new to me 870s

Post by Vitaly » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:53 am

Michael, congratulations on 2 new 870s! Usually, the older Remington 870 you get the better!

Looking forward to see pics of your shotguns.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

jpfrog
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by jpfrog » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:22 pm

I love me some early model Wingmasters...sounds like you've done well. Congrats!

If you want to fix any of them up, be sure to check out the growing number of threads in the gunsmithing section of this forum for ideas, previous member projects, or to ask questions that nobody's ever asked before. Congrats again on the new Wingmasters!

Mifune326
Valued Shotgunner

Post by Mifune326 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:01 pm

Congrats on your new 870s and welcome!

Chris

frankhenrylee
Shotgunner

Post by frankhenrylee » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:55 am

Sweet, I love the old ones that somebody else has shot the hell out of. Best way to find one with a smooth action. After taking apart a couple and doing some of my own amateur gunsmithing I can honestly say I don't think you could ever wear one of these things out mechanically. The simplicity of the design is a work of art. I've got 2 along with a Winchester SX3 and I swear I prefer my 870's more because I've been able to modify them to fit me better. I still keep an eye out for used ones all the time. I still don't have one with an 18" barrel. I really like the new tactical model with the ghost ring XS sights, but when you can get used ones so cheap why bother?

3ky
New Shotgunner

Post by 3ky » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:21 am

Thanks all. I studyed the restorations on here and was impressed. I wouldnt mind restoring the Police 870. The other one is 99% so doent need anything. I'll post pictures and yall can date them. I feel early to mid 70s on both. I'll be looking for more old cheap 870s.

Michael

3ky
New Shotgunner

Post by 3ky » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:32 pm

Here's some pictures. I used the codes to date the barrels. The police barrel is 1972 and the Magnum barrel is 1976. I need to call Remington on the receiver dates but I feel the barrels are original to the receivers. So think I should restore the Police shotgun? I got it for a truck gun aka shooter blaster but as you see in the pictures looks neet and shoots well.

what do yall think?
Michael

vmax
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by vmax » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:41 am

That's a nice pair. You will be very happy with both of them. I have the same guns. I will tell you this. Keep the oldies they are the very best.
Don't buy it if you can't sell it.

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:46 pm

Nice shotguns! I really like them.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun