Magpul or Hogue

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
frankhenrylee
Shotgunner

Magpul or Hogue

Post by frankhenrylee » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:23 pm

Hey fellas, I been eyeballing the new Magpul SGA and Forend for awhile now. However, I just finished building an 870 that I put the Hogue short stock and forend on and I love it. It's a little bit short, but once I get some waders and a jacket on during duck season it should be perfect, besides that it's really not too short. I'm building another 870 and really like the look and the grip angle on the Magpul stock. I just don't know if it's worth it though, it doesn't have the awesome Hogue rubber and even though it's made for "tactical" applications I'd say the Hogue is more tactically correct being that it's much smaller in size and grippier. On the forend I think the Hogue is better too because of the rubber and you don't have those lips on the back to have to reach around. I still can't decide though, I think the Magpul is just drawing me in cause it looks cool, not because it's better. I would like to try out that grip angle though. Is anyone else out there going to get the new Magpul stuff?

Vitaly
Owner

Re: Magpul or Hogue

Post by Vitaly » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:25 pm

frankhenrylee wrote:Hey fellas, I been eyeballing the new Magpul SGA and Forend for awhile now. However, I just finished building an 870 that I put the Hogue short stock and forend on and I love it. It's a little bit short, but once I get some waders and a jacket on during duck season it should be perfect, besides that it's really not too short. I'm building another 870 and really like the look and the grip angle on the Magpul stock. I just don't know if it's worth it though, it doesn't have the awesome Hogue rubber and even though it's made for "tactical" applications I'd say the Hogue is more tactically correct being that it's much smaller in size and grippier. On the forend I think the Hogue is better too because of the rubber and you don't have those lips on the back to have to reach around. I still can't decide though, I think the Magpul is just drawing me in cause it looks cool, not because it's better. I would like to try out that grip angle though. Is anyone else out there going to get the new Magpul stuff?
Magpul stock looks cool and very unusual, Chris Costa said that Magpul stock for Remington 870 is good but too heavy.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

M1AG30
Valued Shotgunner

Post by M1AG30 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:41 pm

frankhenrylee wrote:Hey fellas, I been eyeballing the new Magpul SGA and Forend for awhile now. However, I just finished building an 870 that I put the Hogue short stock and forend on and I love it. It's a little bit short, but once I get some waders and a jacket on during duck season it should be perfect, besides that it's really not too short. I'm building another 870 and really like the look and the grip angle on the Magpul stock. I just don't know if it's worth it though, it doesn't have the awesome Hogue rubber and even though it's made for "tactical" applications I'd say the Hogue is more tactically correct being that it's much smaller in size and grippier. On the forend I think the Hogue is better too because of the rubber and you don't have those lips on the back to have to reach around. I still can't decide though, I think the Magpul is just drawing me in cause it looks cool, not because it's better. I would like to try out that grip angle though. Is anyone else out there going to get the new Magpul stuff?
I am running both a MAGPUL M93 and the MIAD grip system on my 870 ....using the Messa Tactical LEO adapter which facilitates the use of most AR15 style stocks and grips.... it is great to have everything from the trigger back set the same for both my AR and 870.....
It is their God's decision to forgive our enemies,
It is our duty to arrange the meeting!

frankhenrylee
Shotgunner

Post by frankhenrylee » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:10 pm

Well, I decided that I had to try out the new Magpul 870 forend and stock and MidwayUSA finally got them in stock. They showed up a couple of days ago. After installing it and comparing the two I have decided to go with the Hogue. The Hogue short stock claims to be 12" LOP and the Magpul SGA claims 12.5". I found the difference to be much greater. I didn't think to measure the actual LOP for comparison but the SGA was at least an inch longer, so I figure both companies are rounding their measurements with the Hogue maybe being a little shorter than 12" and the SGA being a little longer than 12.5". I also was expecting to be able to use this setup without a mag extension, but there was no place to mount the sling as the forend extends pretty far past the magazine cap and I don't like the idea of mounting the sling to the pump. The 870 shoulders perfectly with the SGA and the angle of the grip is nice, but it does seem to require you to grip it in a particular way. It also installed perfectly with no gaps or looseness in its design. It is heavier than the Hogue stock but not enough to matter for most folks. So there you have it. It's cool stuff, but I'm about 5'8 with short arms so I need that Hogue shorty. I also need a gun I can hunt with and all the bird hunting around here has a 3 round capacity limit so mag extensions are frowned upon by the Game and Fish Officers. Anyhow, hope this helps!

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:04 pm

frankhenrylee wrote:Well, I decided that I had to try out the new Magpul 870 forend and stock and MidwayUSA finally got them in stock. They showed up a couple of days ago. After installing it and comparing the two I have decided to go with the Hogue. The Hogue short stock claims to be 12" LOP and the Magpul SGA claims 12.5". I found the difference to be much greater. I didn't think to measure the actual LOP for comparison but the SGA was at least an inch longer, so I figure both companies are rounding their measurements with the Hogue maybe being a little shorter than 12" and the SGA being a little longer than 12.5". I also was expecting to be able to use this setup without a mag extension, but there was no place to mount the sling as the forend extends pretty far past the magazine cap and I don't like the idea of mounting the sling to the pump. The 870 shoulders perfectly with the SGA and the angle of the grip is nice, but it does seem to require you to grip it in a particular way. It also installed perfectly with no gaps or looseness in its design. It is heavier than the Hogue stock but not enough to matter for most folks. So there you have it. It's cool stuff, but I'm about 5'8 with short arms so I need that Hogue shorty. I also need a gun I can hunt with and all the bird hunting around here has a 3 round capacity limit so mag extensions are frowned upon by the Game and Fish Officers. Anyhow, hope this helps!
frankhenrylee, got photos of Magpul 870 forend and stock? It would be really interestng to see them in real life!
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

AkiroHikage
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by AkiroHikage » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:23 am

Especially a photo of it side by side the hogue forend and stock for comparison.
The tactical psychologist.

frankhenrylee
Shotgunner

Post by frankhenrylee » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:06 pm

I decided to get it back out after posting yesterday to give it another look. I measured it and 12.5" LOP for the SGA is correct. The Hogue actually seem to be about 11.75" LOP. LOP is kind of tough to measure because you really don't know where they were measuring from. I measured from the trigger to the middle of the buttpad, which was not the longest point, but seemed the most accurate and comparable. The Magpul forend is also about .25" shorter on the back end compared to the Hogue making the combination of the Magpul parts feel like they had about an inch longer LOP than the Hogue. The grip of the SGA also has a squared off front with slight palm swells on both sides, but something about these two features just didn't feel right to my hand. I wish they would have just made this part round. The distinct contours really force you to grip it in the way that it's shaped instead of having a more universal grip. I will say that the non-slip surface on both sides works well. It's made up of hundreds of tiny Magpul symbols that are just slightly raised from the surface. I would have liked to see those go all the way around the grip. I'll try to post some pics this weekend for you guys to compare the two.

frankhenrylee
Shotgunner

Post by frankhenrylee » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:52 pm

Sorry folks, have had a bit of a delay getting my other 870 ready to go. Hopefully this weekend I can install the Magpul stuff and you guys can see a side by side comparison of the my 870 with the Hogue short stock and the other with the Magpul parts.

cv0lv0g0
Global Moderator

Post by cv0lv0g0 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:54 pm

I want to see if i can use it as a paddle.... Just in case of bangos...

In all seriousness i want to see if it is really that big..

frankhenrylee
Shotgunner

Post by frankhenrylee » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:35 pm

Allright folks, I posted those pics in the pinned "870 Pictures" topic. Have fun!