Plain bead, rifle sights, or ghost rings?

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
Vitaly
Owner

Re: Plain bead, rifle sights, or ghost rings?

Post by Vitaly » Mon May 14, 2012 7:18 am

Chris, thanks! Looks interesting. How easy is to use them? For birdshot and for slugs?
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

Mifune326
Valued Shotgunner

Post by Mifune326 » Mon May 14, 2012 5:05 pm

I like them. You basically just place the dot on your front sight into the shallow "V" of the rear sight. I think they're a good compromise between a plain bead and rifle sights. They're fast up close and the rear "V" notch gives you something to align your front sight with on longer slug shots.

I don't think they give you as much aiming flexibility on the long slug shots as rifle sights or GRS because the rear notch is only adjustable for windage.

XS designed them for the following reason:

XS originally made them for 3 gunners who mostly shoot pepper poppers up close with birdshot, can have a target out at 100 yards they have to engage.

These 3 gunners felt that ghost ring rear sights did very well at longer distances but slowed things way down up close. That to get COM hits you didn’t need all the rear sight you had in a ghost ring set up, just something more than the receiver hump.

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Mon May 14, 2012 6:47 pm

Mifune326 wrote:I like them. You basically just place the dot on your front sight into the shallow "V" of the rear sight. I think they're a good compromise between a plain bead and rifle sights. They're fast up close and the rear "V" notch gives you something to align your front sight with on longer slug shots.

I don't think they give you as much aiming flexibility on the long slug shots as rifle sights or GRS because the rear notch is only adjustable for windage.

XS designed them for the following reason:

XS originally made them for 3 gunners who mostly shoot pepper poppers up close with birdshot, can have a target out at 100 yards they have to engage.

These 3 gunners felt that ghost ring rear sights did very well at longer distances but slowed things way down up close. That to get COM hits you didn’t need all the rear sight you had in a ghost ring set up, just something more than the receiver hump.
Chris, thanks! It was really interesting to find out about XS sights!
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

Mifune326
Valued Shotgunner

Post by Mifune326 » Tue May 15, 2012 2:09 am

Here's the XS Sights website if you want to check them out Vitaly:

http://xssights.com/

Chris

gypsydan41
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by gypsydan41 » Tue May 15, 2012 11:30 pm

Anytime my friends.

frankhenrylee
Shotgunner

Post by frankhenrylee » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:15 pm

Here's a couple of ideas I've had about getting more accuracy out of a regular bead sight. The first is not really a trick or an idea but Remington makes barrels that have an extra bead about half way down the barrel that's less than half the size of your regular bead. You can use it just like rifle sights, but it's obviously not adjustable. A gunsmith can tap your vent rib and the bead is like $3.

My other idea, which I haven't tried yet, is something I thought of more for training than regular use. Some bowhunters instead of using a peep sight will use a kisser button. It mounts on the bow string and when you pull the bow back you pull it to the same spot on your face, usually the corner of your mouth, and it helps you to line your sights up the same way everytime. I thought about taping a BB or maybe just a thick piece of tape to my stock so I could train my self to shoulder the shotgun the same way each time. Just pick out a spot on the stock that feels right and spot on your cheek that you know you can repeat. I will be trying this out if I can ever get my damn neck (pinched nerve) to stop hurting.

frankhenrylee
Shotgunner

Post by frankhenrylee » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:23 pm

For hunting purposes I wouldn't imagine getting any more range out of it than buckshot would give you unless you've got incredible vision. Hitting a pie plate at 50 yds with open sights is tough to do every single time. You might can stretch it to 75 and if you can just plain see better than most folks you might do a 100. I ordered the smallest brass beads I could find for my 870's specifically for trying to get a little extra range. Those big beads cover up the whole target at longer ranges. I have no proof that it works any better, just thought it might help.