Plain bead, rifle sights, or ghost rings?

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
Mifune326
Valued Shotgunner

Plain bead, rifle sights, or ghost rings?

Post by Mifune326 » Mon May 07, 2012 1:35 pm

Ahhh, the age old question....plain bead, rifle sights, or ghost rings?

I'm building a home defense 870. I purchased an 870P and decided to go with Remington's low profile "express" rifle sights as I felt the ghost ring sights seemed a little slower for me.

I'd like to be able to use this gun to shoot slugs at a distance if needed. Some folks tell me the sights I have chosen will not be as effective as ghost ring sights at longer distances. Other folks have told me they can hit 100 yard slug shots with a plain bead.

Any feelings on this matter?

gypsydan41
Experienced Shotgunner

Re: Plain bead, rifle sights, or ghost rings?

Post by gypsydan41 » Mon May 07, 2012 2:12 pm

I have been able to 100yrd targets with just the bead. It's all how "you" sight your weapon. I use reference points all the time, I use rails, scratches,the side of the weapon, even upsidown I have taught "myself" for this. So you can use any of these items you speak of but the short fact is that your shoty is still a short range weapon. If you are shooting far away, use a rifle. The bead is by far the fastest sight you can have on your gun, However you should be into your gun so as you can pull it up and it will be on target even with your eyes closed. I pull mine about 100-200 times anight, you know it depends on the time and all the crap life tends to throw at you. But I like to snapshoot trap. I also shoot my bow about 200 times every mourning. Just trying to stay on my own game if you will. Try different stuff out and see what "you" like and what works best for you.

Mifune326
Valued Shotgunner

Post by Mifune326 » Tue May 08, 2012 6:15 am

100 yards with a bead Dan? Now that's impressive. Like you said, I'll just have to take it out and see if these sights work for me!

Mifune326
Valued Shotgunner

Post by Mifune326 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:49 pm

Hey Dan,

I see you are located in CA. SoCal or NoCal? I'm in SoCal.

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Thu May 10, 2012 8:29 pm

I like and use rifle sights. They are classic sights which are good for all types of ammunition at all distances.

One of the advantages - it is easy to buy and install aftermarket sights on existing base. You can choose light gathering or Tritium sights. There are even ghost ring sights which can replace standard rifle sights:

I have post about them here:
http://www.rem870.com/2010/02/03/reming ... mpany-inc/

Later, these sights were replaced with Tritium ones:

Here is review:
http://www.rem870.com/2010/04/12/amerig ... 0-shotgun/

If you decide to change sights on your plain bead barrel - that will require lots of work and time (drilling and tapping receiver etc.)

Also, it is simple to shoot slugs with rifle sights, I know many shooters which have problems shooting slugs with bead sight.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

gypsydan41
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by gypsydan41 » Thu May 10, 2012 8:36 pm

Mifune326, I am located in SoCal. Actually in a place called shelter valley. Out on the eastern San Diego desert. Yeah man, the trick to shooting well with a bead sight is being able to put your head and eye in the same place on the weapon everytime you mount it. I shoot pistol's without sights alot. When I was young I would be given old hand me down's that would require me to fix. So I just tought myself how to shoot using what was on the gun's for a reference point. Even guys like Tom Knapp might tell you something similar, so just through year's of self training I have been able to shoot well without sights. I have a FN 1948 Mauser that I got cheap with no sights and was able to hit a 16" target out a 292yrds. with nothing more than the scope mounts on top of the reciever. Yeah alot of friends don't like to go shooting with me cause I usually out shoot them with their own guns. :D Like I always say, you will play like you practice, so practice hard and you will be able to play hard.

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Thu May 10, 2012 9:09 pm

gypsydan41 wrote:Mifune326, I am located in SoCal. Actually in a place called shelter valley. Out on the eastern San Diego desert. Yeah man, the trick to shooting well with a bead sight is being able to put your head and eye in the same place on the weapon everytime you mount it. I shoot pistol's without sights alot. When I was young I would be given old hand me down's that would require me to fix. So I just tought myself how to shoot using what was on the gun's for a reference point. Even guys like Tom Knapp might tell you something similar, so just through year's of self training I have been able to shoot well without sights. I have a FN 1948 Mauser that I got cheap with no sights and was able to hit a 16" target out a 292yrds. with nothing more than the scope mounts on top of the reciever. Yeah alot of friends don't like to go shooting with me cause I usually out shoot them with their own guns. :D Like I always say, you will play like you practice, so practice hard and you will be able to play hard.
"You know how you get to Carnegie Hall, don't you? Practice." ;)

Mifune326
Valued Shotgunner

Post by Mifune326 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:58 am

Thank you for the info on your rifle sights Vitaly. Right now, I have the Remington (actually XS I think) "low profile rifle sights" (front post with a shallow "V" rear). Going to try to get out to the range next week and shoot some slugs to see how far I can hit using these sights. Like GypsyDan says, I'll just have to shoot it and then remember where I'm holding the sights are varying distances.

I see the front sight is a dovetail but how does the Ameriglo rear sight mount?

Gypsy, I'm in the L.A. area.

Thank you both very much for your help.

And Vitaly, I remember hearing the Carnegie Hall quote before, just can remember who said it!

Chris

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Fri May 11, 2012 9:18 pm

Mifune326 wrote:Thank you for the info on your rifle sights Vitaly. Right now, I have the Remington (actually XS I think) "low profile rifle sights" (front post with a shallow "V" rear). Going to try to get out to the range next week and shoot some slugs to see how far I can hit using these sights. Like GypsyDan says, I'll just have to shoot it and then remember where I'm holding the sights are varying distances.
Chris, didn't have a chance to test the low profile sights, could you post a pic? It would be interesting to see them.
Mifune326 wrote: I see the front sight is a dovetail but how does the Ameriglo rear sight mount?
Yes, front sight is a dovetail. Rear sight mounts on a standard Remington 870's rear sight assembly (you have it if you have rifle sights).
Mifune326 wrote: And Vitaly, I remember hearing the Carnegie Hall quote before, just can remember who said it!
The first time I've heard it was in "Inglourious Basterds" movie :)

Mifune326
Valued Shotgunner

Post by Mifune326 » Sat May 12, 2012 2:52 am

Sorry Vitaly, I'm not saavy enough to know how to upload pictues on my message!

But if you look at this page about 2/3 of the way down, you will see a picture of Remington's "low profile rifle sights":

http://remingtonle.com/shotguns/870synthetic.htm

Chris