870's are like Legos . Just a big rantting about nothing.

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
vmax
Experienced Shotgunner

870's are like Legos . Just a big rantting about nothing.

Post by vmax » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:09 am

While putting some guns together tonight i was sitting on the floor with a pile of parts and pieces. It reminded me of a simpler time as a kid playing with Legos building blocks. Changing stocks ,adding shell holders, screwing on mag extentions and so on is one of the main reason that we all love 870's. Toys for big boys. I think my collection of 870's could be considered a medical condition Lol. The best part about the 870 is the fact that it is simple and reliable and anyone can work on them if they want to learn. Honestly guys don't pay others to play with your Legos do it your self you might just find that you are still a kid playing on the floor. What i mean is learn to do your own repairs and install your own parts it will give you some pride in a job well done. The best thing that this web forum has to offer is great pics honest product review and helpfull tips and trick. I hope some people arn't trying to take advantage of this great forum for simple personal gain without honesty. PS you know what grinds my gears [ Peter from family guy ] people that don't answer emails. After watching the forum day after day with little action i had to speak. Thanks.
Don't buy it if you can't sell it.

jpfrog
Experienced Shotgunner

Re: 870's are like Legos . Just a big rantting about nothing

Post by jpfrog » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:08 am

+1....I just bought a pawn shop special that needs a lot of TLC. It's a 1976 Wingmaster with 28" Modified choke barrel...no rib. I'm replacing the stocks as they're worn, cracked at the neck and in other places, and just missing some luster. After completely disassembling I'm happy to report I can use ALL of the original internals, although after looking at some of VMAX's models, I may switch out the trigger assembly for one with a gold trigger. 8-)

The new furniture should be here next week. When it gets hotter (I live in Texas) I plan to attempt the rust blue method to bring the metal back to life...I could pay someone, but why? Rust bluing is old, proven, and cheap...and it doesn't require any really special and expensive equipment. Plus, if I mess up, then I can still have a pro do it.

It's going to be a long project- I have to wait for the heat of summer, and I'm still in the middle of a 1911 build from scratch project that I started in January and need to finish. You can never have too many projects! :lol:

-JPFROG

RichNZ
Global Moderator

Post by RichNZ » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:32 am

+1 haha... was thinking about this the other day watching the boss's kids doing their lego building on the carpet!

Good luck with the rust bluing JP - glad to hear someone else is giving it a go. Mine's still looking lurvelly and it's been about a year and a half now i think? Make sure you get some pics up!

SharksFan
Shotgunner

Post by SharksFan » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:14 am

Will have to agree there. Often end up tearing it apart and putting it back together just for fun. Many times people will ask why, and all I can say is that its one of lifes simple pleasures. Will drive everyone here crazy once I get my new "bricks" such as my new Remington magazine extension and GG&G saddle. :lol:

You'll definetly have to post pictures JP. Has to be one of the best looking finishes on an 870, when done right.

TFuller
Global Moderator

Post by TFuller » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:54 pm

I'm definitely in agreement on this. Working as a mechanical designer full-time and going back to college part-time makes my hands restless. I used to be able to get that energy out of me when I was a sheet metal worker, but now I find myself going crazy until I can get my hands on something and do something to anything. So I tear my guns down and play with them - to put it simply. ;)

This past weekend I tore down a Marlin .22LR I've had since about 1986 and had never properly cleaned. That was a fun experience because I had no idea what was going on in there.

Firearms are definitely not toys and I know I'm preaching to the choir on this one, but when we step back and look at them from purely a mechanical standpoint, yes, they really are just a building block set for us overgrown kids. :D
Hans - 18" Barrel, SBE Precision Follower, Remington Syn S&F, Extractor, Remington +2 tube Extender

Franz - 18" Barrel, Brownell's SS Follower, Knoxx Spec Ops & PowerPak, Hogue Grip, Extractor, Choate +2

frankhenrylee
Shotgunner

Post by frankhenrylee » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:17 pm

I bought an 870 a few months ago specifically for this. I've got it all finished now and the action is smooth as silk. I molyresin coated it in foliage green and added the Nordic mag extension, follower and clamp. I did have to use the clamp made for a Mossberg as Remington changed the 870 at some point making the measurements between the barrel and mag a little shorter than what mine is. Also added the GG&G oversize safety and Hogue short stock. I'll be posting some pics on the "Magpul or Hogue" topic of my masterpiece. I bought another used one online and it arrived with an extremely tight action. It's a 2003 model and my other is a 1995 model. I definitely think that the older the better when it comes to 870's. Like everyone else has said you can't tear one of these things up so they make great projects for first time gunsmiths.

AkiroHikage
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by AkiroHikage » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:20 pm

Better to post the photo to the photo thread: http://www.rem870.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=11
The tactical psychologist.