Problem with 870 Tactical.

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
TANGO44
New Shotgunner

Problem with 870 Tactical.

Post by TANGO44 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:04 pm

Hi few days ago I bought an 870 Tactical Magnum with the BlackHawk spec ops stock, today at the range the shotgun give me several failures.
Sometimes when I pump, it gives me a failure to extract the spent case and the next round jumps out of the tube, and I have to turn upside down the shotgun to clean the failure and I end loosing the new round that jumps from the tube???

What's is going on?

gypsydan41
Experienced Shotgunner

Re: Problem with 870 Tactical.

Post by gypsydan41 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:26 pm

I also had such a deal. I took my gun"870" to a gunsmith and he found that being I was so short armed, that I needed to hold my hand farther forward on the forward grip. It cured that. You see the length of pull for me was to long, not from buttstock to trigger but my left arm was to short, making me hold the gun's forgrip to close to the escaping shell, shell would hit my finger and I would not be able to even feel it. And if that don't work try a knew extractor.

TANGO44
New Shotgunner

Post by TANGO44 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:23 am

Ok will try and I will keep you all posted, thank you.

tpattgeek
New Shotgunner

Post by tpattgeek » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:04 pm

I am having this exact problem the first time I used my 870 Express yesterday. 95% of the time, it would not extract the spent case from the chamber. I saw two people at the range that saw I was having issues, and they both told me it was an issue with the low-brass ammo with the Express models. I put a few rounds of my 1buck, no problems. Those rounds had high brass, obviously. Now, I always refer to "high-brass' as the goldish bronze-colored brass vs. low-brass being the chrome colored casing. I'm not a shotgun expert by any means, but isn't that the correct definition of the two? Do most people refer to how high up the shell the metal goes? I was shooting Remington #8 Gun Club Target rounds with "low-brass" chrome colored casing. Those failed to extract 99% of the time. This seems like a really common problem. I took my barrell off and it seems very smooth and not rough like some people are saying. Some say you need to polish the barrell. A guy at Bass Pro's gun counter said it's just the specs of the Express models and the specs of some ammunition are as "tight" as they used to be, and combining the two yield an FTE. I got a box of Rem's Premier STS rounds with physically low, but "high-brass" colored casing at the bottom. I will see how that does at the range next time I go, as I can't keep a gun that is this unreliable and picky. I'm going to call Remington tomorrow and see what they suggest. I don't understand why Remington would make a gun and ammo that are specifically made for each other, technically, and they will not function properly. (confused)

Hntbambi
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Hntbambi » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:10 am

Polish the chaber a bit and it will work fine. You can use a brake cylinder hone or a wooden dowel with a slot cut to hold some 400 grit paper. Run this with a hand drill and it will solve the extraction issues. It's not a gun problem, design problem, or ammo problem, more of a finish problem. Remington has been cutting corners for years trying to make money and its starting to show.

PRegner
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by PRegner » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:22 am

As previously mentioned, polishing the chamber will go a long way to alleviating this issue. I would start a little less aggressively using a moto-tool and a felt wheel with an application of some ultra-fine polishing compound (I'm fond of Happich Semichrome).

In addition, I've found that replacing the extractor claw helps as well. The current crop of Express model 870's have an extractor claw that is MIM (Molten Injection Molded). I replaced mine with a non-MIM claw for the Wingmaster, and this helped the problem as well.

Between the two actions (polishing and replacement of the extractor claw), my 870 Express will now digest anything I feed it; high or low brass. Bear in mind through all of this that the 870 (Wingmaster or Express) is going to function better and better with hard use. The more you shoot it, the smoother and more reliable it will become.
Blaming a death on a firearm is like blaming a mis-spelled word on a pencil.

tpattgeek
New Shotgunner

Post by tpattgeek » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:46 am

Thanks for the tips! I did read everywhere about polishing it and whatnot, but I've only owned it for a week and I'm not remotely close to being a gunsmith (or having any polishing experience at all) plus I didn't want to spend a dime if I didn't have to. With my luck I would break something. I called Remington and they told me I had a certified warranty gunsmith about 5 miles away :) Dropped it off yesterday and should get it back in a week or two. I'm sure they know what to do... we've known them personally for many years.