Waiting periods

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
EdwardE
Experienced Shotgunner

Waiting periods

Post by EdwardE » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:56 am

Just curious about what kind of waiting periods members have for shotgun purchases in their state (Europe, too).
Here in South Carolina it's about 15 minutes.

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Waiting periods

Post by Chief Brody » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:16 am

My first firearm purchase was last year, in New York, and it took just a few minutes to walk out with my 870P.
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:57 am

No waiting periods on long guns in my area (Washington/Idaho), just whatever time is required to fill out the paperwork and pass the NCIS check. We do have a 5-day waiting period for handguns, but people like me, who have already undergone the extensive criminal/mental investigation and fingerprinting to get our concealed pistol license, can purchase handguns with no waiting period, just an NCIS check.

DaveC
Addict Shotgunner

Post by DaveC » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:53 am

For the United States, the NRA has a website for all of the various state gun laws... You might consult that.

As far as Texas goes, it is fairly liberal as far as gun laws go... Since I've lived here I have had a Texas CHL--concealed handgun license--which involved prior background checks, a class on the laws concerning deadly force and self-defence, a quasi-qualification of 50 rounds down-range, a photo, a fingerprint card, etc. so when I buy rifles, pistols [revolvers in my case], and shotguns, the state waiting period is waived as redundant.
Alle Kunst ist umsonst, wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.

Zebra62
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Zebra62 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:51 am

Down here in Texas we only have a few things needed before being able to purchase a weapon:
#1. The Weapon. Very important.
#2. Money. Just as important as item #1.
#3. Pen. Used to fill out item #4.
#4. Paperwork. To be filled out with item #3.
#5. Time, and not much of it. Like EdwardE in SC, the average is 15 minutes. I have heard rumors of some gun shops keeping "pre filled" forms available for certain customers who do purchase weapons frequently. This can speed up the process drastically. Customer calls in, gun shop fills in required weapons information on the form, makes the call, gets approval, customer comes in and purchases the weapon. In and out. 5 minutes tops. Of course that does not take into account of long lines at the gun counter at you favorite gun shop. For those poor souls who still shop at Gander Mountain, I am so terribly sorry. Find a smaller independant shop.
#6. A ride home. More important than items #3, 4 and 5. Without the all important ride home, you must leave your new purchased and approved weapon at the shop unless it is a handgun you can conceal and you have a CHL. Cops down here in Texas would definately stop you as you strolled down the road with your brand new long gun, arrest you and confiscate your weapon.

All in all, its pretty quick down here.
The REAL definition of GUN CONTROL - The ability to keep your sights on your target.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

DaveC
Addict Shotgunner

Post by DaveC » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:58 pm

Some of the larger gun stores here in Santone have the relevant paperwork/forms all online: just fill in the fields.

Back in Washington State, I have transported new purchases by bicycle... In Texas, not so much. :geek:
Alle Kunst ist umsonst, wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.

dtjacob
Shotgunner

Post by dtjacob » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:39 pm

:D Not much in Vt. - bought my 870 2 weeks ago & took maybe 5min. once I had decided what I wanted. :x UNFORTUNATELY, there is a VERY VOCAL minority of the far left here who would like to see that change.........

Short Bus
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Short Bus » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:32 pm

In Ohio it depends on how fast you can fill out the NICS paperwork.

Pastor Doogie
Shotgunner

Post by Pastor Doogie » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:44 am

I've never encountered a waiting period on shotguns or rifles--that goes for Kentucky, Indiana, and Mississippi.

I have seen waiting periods on handguns, but in the aforementioned states, Concealed Carry Permit waived the waiting period(s).

I don't think waiting periods help citizens... or cities... only criminals.
“Multiple hits do count significantly.”
—Dr. Dennis Tobin M.D.
(Handgun Stopping Power by Marshall & Sanow Paladin Press, 1992 pg. 10.)