Pictures of your Remington 870 Shotgun

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
stratotrev
Shotgunner

Re: Pictures of your Remington 870 Shotgun

Post by stratotrev » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:22 am

dharbert wrote:This is my current 870 build, which is a work in progress. It started out as a dedicated home defense weapon and is now a hybrid HD/long range platform (at least that's what I'm trying to create). Future modifications will include a scope (either regular or night vision), a combination laser/IR designator, and possibly swap out the 18.5" smooth bore barrel for a 20" rifled barrel. Mossberg makes replacement barrels for the 870 which include either a .50 cal-style muzzle brake or a suppressor-style brake. I don't think that I can fit either of those barrels on this gun with the current quad rail that I have installed. There isn't enough room for the brake. I might have to switch to the Black Aces Tactical quad rail. It looks like it might have more room at the front. Also, I've though about changing out the Knoxx Stock with a Mesa Tactical Tube and use an AR-style stock, possibly from Magpul.

There are so many things you can do with an 870, I might have to purchase another one. And yes, I do get strange looks at the range when I bring this contraption out of the case with the bipod on it :)

Current modifications:

Knoxx Spec-Ops Adjustable Stock
Knoxx Power-Pak w/Cheek Riser and Saddle
AIM Sports Tactical Quad Rail w/Saddle
Mako Tri-Rail Forend
NC Star Rail-Mount Bipod
Magpul MBUS Backup Sights
Magpul MOE RVG Vertical Grip
Streamlight TLR-1
Sight Mark Ultra Dual Shot QD Reflex Sight w/ Laser
+3 Mag Tube Extension
Magpul Rail Mount Sling Hooks
Dude, that thing is awesome! I had never even really considered doing a project gun like that out of an 870. I'm so used to carrying it on duty and our general law enforcement/military use, and having seperate duty weapons for long range and tactical situations. Good ideas indeed. You've given me some things to think about some.
I can't seem to find the morning???

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:16 am

dharbert wrote:Mossberg makes replacement barrels for the 870 which include either a .50 cal-style muzzle brake or a suppressor-style brake. I don't think that I can fit either of those barrels on this gun with the current quad rail that I have installed. There isn't enough room for the brake. I might have to switch to the Black Aces Tactical quad rail. It looks like it might have more room at the front.
Unless you're only going for looks, forget the muzzle brake. A 12ga may be a .73 caliber, but it has less muzzle velocity and a far lower working pressure than any rifle, and .50 BMG rounds are loaded with over ten times as much powder (which translates to gas quantity) as a 12ga shell.

If you just want something crazy-looking on the end of the barrel, you could pick up an adapter and use a Saiga-12 muzzle device. No rail system should interfere with a choke-mounted accessory as long as the barrel is long enough to extend past the end of the rail.

dharbert
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by dharbert » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:45 pm

Synchronizor wrote:
dharbert wrote:Mossberg makes replacement barrels for the 870 which include either a .50 cal-style muzzle brake or a suppressor-style brake. I don't think that I can fit either of those barrels on this gun with the current quad rail that I have installed. There isn't enough room for the brake. I might have to switch to the Black Aces Tactical quad rail. It looks like it might have more room at the front.
Unless you're only going for looks, forget the muzzle brake. A 12ga may be a .73 caliber, but it has less muzzle velocity and a far lower working pressure than any rifle, and .50 BMG rounds are loaded with over ten times as much powder (which translates to gas quantity) as a 12ga shell.

If you just want something crazy-looking on the end of the barrel, you could pick up an adapter and use a Saiga-12 muzzle device. No rail system should interfere with a choke-mounted accessory as long as the barrel is long enough to extend past the end of the rail.
I have a cylinder bore barrel, so I'm assuming that I can't use a threaded choke or adapter without some gunsmithing.

As far as the muzzle brake goes, yes I know it's going to be only for looks. I'd rather have the "suppressor" looking one than the .50 cal-style one. I'd even settle for the breach barrel. The problem is the description for each barrel says it is 18.5". Is that 18.5" overall, or is 18.5" to the rear of the brake, which would make that actual overall barrel length around 22" to 23"?

With the quad rail that I have installed, it leaves me with 1 1/4" of the barrel sticking out past the rail.

Here are a few pics so you can see what I'm talking about:
Rolling Thunder.jpg
Rolling Thunder.jpg (6.94 KiB) Viewed 8441 times
Road Blocker.jpg
Road Blocker.jpg (6.06 KiB) Viewed 8441 times
Breach.jpg
Breach.jpg (14.97 KiB) Viewed 8441 times
The sniper shotgun. Because screw logic.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:01 pm

The first two barrels you linked are Mossberg barrels, so I'm not sure on those. For this one though:
A quick calculation based on the location of the barrel guide ring shows it's 18.5" overall, from the breechface to the end of the stand-off. If all you're after is a muzzle device, you may be able to have your current barrel threaded and buy a Remington breaching choke for less than a brand-new barrel would cost.

dharbert
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by dharbert » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:10 pm

Synchronizor wrote:The first two barrels you linked are Mossberg barrels, so I'm not sure on those. For this one though:
A quick calculation based on the location of the barrel guide ring shows it's 18.5" overall, from the breechface to the end of the stand-off. If all you're after is a muzzle device, you may be able to have your current barrel threaded and buy a Remington breaching choke for less than a brand-new barrel would cost.
The first two barrels that I posted are made by Mossberg for Remington 870 shotguns. The location of the barrel ring guide looks suspect on those as well.

I'd probably better e-mail them to see what the exact dimensions of those barrels are. I might just be better off having the barrel threaded and use the Remington breach choke that you posted.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:28 pm

dharbert wrote:The first two barrels that I posted are made by Mossberg for Remington 870 shotguns. The location of the barrel ring guide looks suspect on those as well.
I can tell you that the first two are Mossberg 500-series barrels; they have the Mossberg-style barrel lugs, and cut-outs for the dual extractors. If someone's calling these Remington 870 barrels, they're wrong.

The third is definitely an 870 barrel though; pass-through barrel guide ring, single extractor notch on the right side, and an 870 locking notch in the barrel extension.

dharbert
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by dharbert » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:42 pm

Synchronizor wrote:
dharbert wrote:The first two barrels that I posted are made by Mossberg for Remington 870 shotguns. The location of the barrel ring guide looks suspect on those as well.
I can tell you that the first two are Mossberg 500-series barrels; they have the Mossberg-style barrel lugs, and cut-outs for the dual extractors. If someone's calling these Remington 870 barrels, they're wrong.

The third is definitely an 870 barrel though; pass-through barrel guide ring, single extractor notch on the right side, and an 870 locking notch in the barrel extension.
Thank you for the information. I hadn't noticed the differences. I'm sure that the various retailers that I've found these barrels on just posted a generic picture of the 500-series barrel. Even so, I'm going to e-mail Mossberg to make sure.

stratotrev
Shotgunner

Post by stratotrev » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:43 pm

So... Here's a pic of my newest 870 that I picked up a couple weeks ago at the base BX. After adding a few toys to it of course. Still waiting on my Mesa side saddle which was suppose to be here today and failed to arrive, and looking at maybe a few more upgrades here and there. I also have a surefire weapons light to mount on it, but it's at work in my locker and didn't want to venture in to the Squadron on my day off for fear of being tasked with something.

I can't seem to find the morning???

navyshooter
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by navyshooter » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:32 am

stratotrev wrote:
dharbert wrote:This is my current 870 build, which is a work in progress. It started out as a dedicated home defense weapon and is now a hybrid HD/long range platform (at least that's what I'm trying to create). Future modifications will include a scope (either regular or night vision), a combination laser/IR designator, and possibly swap out the 18.5" smooth bore barrel for a 20" rifled barrel. Mossberg makes replacement barrels for the 870 which include either a .50 cal-style muzzle brake or a suppressor-style brake. I don't think that I can fit either of those barrels on this gun with the current quad rail that I have installed. There isn't enough room for the brake. I might have to switch to the Black Aces Tactical quad rail. It looks like it might have more room at the front. Also, I've though about changing out the Knoxx Stock with a Mesa Tactical Tube and use an AR-style stock, possibly from Magpul.

There are so many things you can do with an 870, I might have to purchase another one. And yes, I do get strange looks at the range when I bring this contraption out of the case with the bipod on it :)

Current modifications:

Knoxx Spec-Ops Adjustable Stock
Knoxx Power-Pak w/Cheek Riser and Saddle
AIM Sports Tactical Quad Rail w/Saddle
Mako Tri-Rail Forend
NC Star Rail-Mount Bipod
Magpul MBUS Backup Sights
Magpul MOE RVG Vertical Grip
Streamlight TLR-1
Sight Mark Ultra Dual Shot QD Reflex Sight w/ Laser
+3 Mag Tube Extension
Magpul Rail Mount Sling Hooks
Dude, that thing is awesome! I had never even really considered doing a project gun like that out of an 870. I'm so used to carrying it on duty and our general law enforcement/military use, and having seperate duty weapons for long range and tactical situations. Good ideas indeed. You've given me some things to think about some.
Just curious what it weighs fully loaded?
"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Montani Semper Liberi

dharbert
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by dharbert » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:13 pm

navyshooter wrote:Just curious what it weighs fully loaded?
A little over 14 lbs. That's with 7 rounds loaded, 6 rounds in the side saddle, and 5 rounds in the rear saddle.